Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bone loss

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bone loss

I know I have probably asked his somewhere along the line but I recently went to the dentist and I am now losing bone loss and will probably loose a couple of teeth. I know it is from the pred but the dr refuses to let me stop. I saw a endocrinologist who told me to take Boniva once a month but he warned me I would feel terrible with muscle pain and may make me just sick in general. So you all know me ....after reading reviews about it on the comp. I decided it wasn't for me. I called him back today to see if I could use something more homeopathic and he said the only other thing is to get a injection every 6 months of Prolia. Well I don't want an shot that lasts 6 mos. in case I have problems with that. I called to talk to my dr at CC but missed her call back. SOOOOOOOOOOO my question is what s everyone taking for there bones ???????????
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I take is Calcium and Vitamin D. Still six foot four. Can't speak on the tooth issue, lost all uppers in 99, swear that was my first symptom.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm taking caltrate+D twice a day. I'm having a bone density test in August to see how I'm doing. No other issues for now.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm taking daily Calcium & Vitamin D as well.

My doctor also has me on an annual infusion of Reclast/Zoledronic acid to help avoid osteoporosis. I had one infusion last August with no side effect and will have another this August, as in the meantime I relapsed and am back on high doses of prednisone.

Also to note: I had Wegener's kidney involvement, but my kidneys were back to normal by the time I got the first reclast infusion.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take two types of calcium and Vitamin D daily and a generic Fosomax once a week. My bone loss has been minimal and notice no special side effects from the meds. I lost one tooth but it was attributed to a chronic infection in the gums related to suppressed immune system.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mom has begun to have tooth loss since 50mg of pred. We've increased calcium and Vitamin D to try to prevent it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fosamax was prescribed for me, but if my repeat DEXA shows nothing dramatic I will be able to discontinue it. (My first one showed some minor changes, but that was right after I started treatment, so probably this was a finding consistent with my age and not WG related. I had no problems with the Fosamax in terms of side effects, but I'm hoping to take one more drug off my shelf. This is all assuming that my labs continue good and I can complete the pred taper to zero.) I also take a calcium supplement. Maybe your individual situation warrants the specific drugs recommended by your doc? As always, it's a balancing act of treating the disease and living with the side effects of treatment. Hope you find a solution that suits you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my oral surgeon told me that with all the drugs like fosomax including prolia there is a risk of some kind of jaw necrosis if they have to take out a tooth so have all your dental work up to date first and very frequent cleanings and checkups...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was on fosomax for several years but my dr said I needed a vacation from it. I had no side effects taking it. However you can not eat anything for 30 minutes after you take it and you can also not lay down after you take it. I've heard that you are not supposed to take it for more that about 5 years. Now I take 1200 mg calcium and 2000 D3 each day.
    Karen; dx'ed April 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kaysee View Post
    I was on fosomax for several years but my dr said I needed a vacation from it. I had no side effects taking it. However you can not eat anything for 30 minutes after you take it and you can also not lay down after you take it. I've heard that you are not supposed to take it for more that about 5 years. Now I take 1200 mg calcium and 2000 D3 each day.
    I have been on it five years too and if my next bone scan looks good I might be able to try going off that med too. I take two kinds of calcium along with vitamin D
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast