Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bone loss

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for your replys. I already take 2000 iu of Vit D so I will start taking Calcium. I also took Fosomax in the beginning but the dr. took me off it.
    I wish she would take me off the pred and let me go med free but she is worried I may have a flare and have to go up higher or on different meds
    The insurance I have does not cover dental but I have care credit which is like taking out a loan cuz I am looking at a couple of thousand $$ for this.For that I should have them all pulled and just get dentures !
    Thanks again everyone
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was on generic Fosamax before my Wegs dx, and my current WG treating doc said I shouldn't take it for more than 5 years. So I stopped when I thought the 5 years was about up, though I didn't actually try to find out when I started taking it. I take 2000mg. of Calcium and 2000iu. of Vitamin D3 per day. That's the amount my PA suggested along with the Fosamax, after a bone density scan showed osteopenia. This was when I'm certain I had Wegs but didn't know it, and had taken pred for sinus infections, but not on a steady basis. I always felt sort of weird about the Fosamax, reading the literature about jaw necrosis and femur fractures. So I'm just as glad not to be taking it but definitely should be getting another density scan.

I did have some molars and wisdom teeth extracted after Wegs dx, while on pred and Fosamax, but it was due to infections that had been brewing for some time. The dentist and oral surgeon both knew a lot about Fosamax and said that I hadn't been on it long enough to have to stop taking it before the oral surgery. I think I told him I'd been on it about a year and a half. Haven't had any dental or jaw issues since then.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At 22 I am having to do bone scans and take calcium. I have even been off pred for at least a year. The time I was on the highest pred was the only time I had caveties and teeth problems. It has started up again now that I am on an inhaler (this thing seems to have sprouted cavities and a heart murmur and dose not seem worth it). I have to know what pred dose to marrow!
    Experience is the only way to survive. <3 Rini Orange

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rini View Post
    At 22 I am having to do bone scans and take calcium. I have even been off pred for at least a year. The time I was on the highest pred was the only time I had caveties and teeth problems. It has started up again now that I am on an inhaler (this thing seems to have sprouted cavities and a heart murmur and dose not seem worth it). I have to know what pred dose to marrow!
    What kind of inhaler are you on?
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12