User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New drug study in the Netherlands: Supresses inflammation without impairing immunity

Bing505z is offline Banned for being a douchebag
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New drug study in the Netherlands: Supresses inflammation without impairing immunity

Kineta, University of Groningen Present New, Positive Data for Dalazatide in ANCA Vasculitis, an Orphan Disease

Press Release: Kineta, Inc. – Tue, Apr 21, 2015 10:00 BST

LONDON--(BUSINESSWIRE)--
    Dalazatide demonstrates targeted activity in multi-organ autoimmune disease that spares general immune response
    Kineta, Inc., a biotechnology company focused on the development of immune modulating drugs for critical diseases, and researchers from the University of Groningen, Netherlands, announced new data from a study that showed dalazatide (formerly ShK-186) is effective in immunomodulating the cells causing inflammation and damage of small blood vessels in various organs in samples from patients with Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis (GPA). ANCA-associated vasculitis illnesses such as GPA are rare autoimmune diseases but can be severe, affect multiple organ systems and lead to kidney failure and lung hemorrhage. In the US, vasculitis diseases account for 300,000 hospitalizations each year and are associated with significant morbidity and mortality. The data were presented at the 17th International ANCA and Vasculitis Workshop in London by Kineta collaborators Lucas L. Lintermans and Dr. Wayel H. Abdulahad.
    The collaboration between Kineta and the University of Groningen was based on earlier published research by Dr. Abdulahad showing that during flares of disease, GPA patients had elevated numbers of effector memory T cells in their urine. “A key question was whether these effector memory T cells expressed high levels of Kv1.3 and could be functionally blocked by dalazatide,” stated Dr. Ernesto J. Muñoz, Associate Director of Translational Immunology at Kineta.
    In today’s study data, funded by the Dutch Arthritis Foundation, circulating mononuclear cells were isolated from the blood of GPA patients and from healthy volunteers. The cells were treated in culture with dalazatide which is a selective Kv1.3 channel blocker. Results showed that the T cells from GPA patients made higher levels of inflammatory cytokines upon in vitro stimulation, and these inflammatory cytokines were lowered in the presence of dalazatide. Cytokines are the “communicators” and activators in the body’s immune system.
    “Treatment with dalazatide caused the patient T cells to reduce their production of inflammatory cytokines including IL-7A, IFN gamma and TNF alpha to the levels observed in the healthy volunteer’s cells. Importantly, the cells that showed this reduction were only the effector memory T cells while naïve and central memory T cells were not affected,” said Lintermans, the PhD candidate performing the studies. This suggests that dalazatide may suppress the cells causing vascular inflammation in GPA patients without impairing the ability of patients to fight infections.
    “Validation of Kv1.3 as a target for ANCA* vasculitis lends a rationale for exploring the therapeutic scope of dalazatide in other autoimmune diseases that affect the kidney, including most notably, lupus nephritis,” concluded Dr. Abdulahad, principal investigator of the study.
    Previous research has also shown that systemic administration of dalazatide is effective in preventing disease in models of psoriasis, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and autoimmune kidney diseases, among others. Dalazatide is also currently being tested in a proof of concept Phase 1B clinical trial in psoriasis patients. Data is expected in the second quarter of 2015.
    About dalazatide
    Dalazatide (formerly ShK-186) has a novel mechanism of action (MOA). Preclinical data have shown that dalazatide is a selective and potent blocker of the voltage-gated Kv1.3 potassium channel, which is a key channel in the activation of effector-memory T cells. Effector memory T cells are implicated in the pathology of many autoimmune diseases. Dalazatide was the first Kv1.3 specific inhibitor advanced into human clinical trials. Dalazatide is also being studied as a potential therapy in other autoimmune diseases, including multiple sclerosis, lupus, type 1 diabetes, inflammatory bowel diseases and autoimmune eye diseases. The lupus, multiple sclerosis, and inflammatory bowel disease research is being conducted in conjunction with the Alliance for Children’s Therapeutics, a drug development and funding collaboration between Kineta and Seattle Children’s Research Institute. *(ANCA) anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies
    Kineta, Inc. is a Seattle-based privately held biotechnology company specializing in clinical advancement of novel drug candidates derived from leading edge scientific research. Our world-class scientists are pioneers in developing life-changing classes of new drugs designed to be more effective and safer than current medicines. Kineta seeks to improve the lives of millions of people suffering from autoimmune and viral diseases and from severe pain. Our progressive business model focuses on targeting unmet medical needs and rapid achievement of important clinical milestones. For more information on Kineta, Inc. visit our website, www.Kinetabio.com
    NOTICE: This document contains certain forward-looking statements, including without limitation statements regarding Kineta’s plans for clinical studies and regulatory filings. You are cautioned that such forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance and involve risks and uncertainties inherent in Kineta’s business which could significantly affect expected results, including without limitation progress of drug development, ability to raise capital to fund drug development, clinical testing and regulatory approval, developments in raw material and personnel costs, and legislative, fiscal, and other regulatory measures. All forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement, and Kineta undertakes no obligation to revise or update any forward-looking statement to reflect events or circumstances after the issuance of this press release.
    ContactKineta, Inc.
    Dan Eramian, 206-518-5566
    [email protected]

link:

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/ki...090000461.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I understand this correctly and put it in simple terms, this drug is a combination replacing prednisone and immunosuppressants.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't read the whole article but the side effects sounds worse than the drugs we take now
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read it wrong at first,so after re-reading it sounds promising but it will probably be years till its on the market
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HA! I was reading down through the messages and I saw Deb's first message, so I went back up to re-read and see what I missed... :-) I should have kept reading to her 2nd message....

I went to the manufacturer's website (Kineta® :: Autoimmune Disease) where they discuss the drug. It appears to be a pretty broad drug to be used against a lot of auto-immune diseases. Maybe AnneKat can run up to Seattle and talk to them. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably a long time coming but no harm done in keeping my fingers & toes crossed!! Thanks for posting this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting!! Thank you for the post. I'll add "dalazatide" to my news alerts.
    "Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the whole earth revolves—slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future. Live the actual moment. Only this actual moment is life." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    HA! I was reading down through the messages and I saw Deb's first message, so I went back up to re-read and see what I missed... :-) I should have kept reading to her 2nd message....

I went to the manufacturer's website (Kineta® :: Autoimmune Disease) where they discuss the drug. It appears to be a pretty broad drug to be used against a lot of auto-immune diseases. Maybe AnneKat can run up to Seattle and talk to them. :-)
    Nope, vdub, I'm not one for running up to Seattle, or anywhere. Maybe Kirk (me2) can hobnob with his docs at UW about it... there is a link on the site about an "alliance" between UW and Kineta, to collaborate on and further the research and development of this kind of stuff. If this turns out to be a breakthrough, it would sure be exciting for it to be happening in our own backyard, let alone that it could help so many. It's a shame that if these things are valuable, they take so long to get approved and put into use.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting article. Some of my ancestors are from Groninger, Netherlands which made if even more interesting for me. This drug could put a lot of other drugs that we use now out of the market. I would like to know if there are side effects.
    Karen; dx'ed April 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the concept of a drug that might help a variety of autoimmune diseases. This should fit nicely into Marta's idea of finding the common thread. And this might be part of the "cure".
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast