Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shingles-please NO!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shingles-please NO!!!

Hi all! I was just told i was exposed to shingles in the last week im wondering your experiences. I remember when i was first dxed years ago, i was told to STAY CLEAR! but i didnt know she had them i dont wanna panic, but i am scheduled for surgery on the 17th....i had chicken pox 2 times as a child. Very severe. Does this make me more susceptible? Taking 2 immuno suppresents and pred too....if im worrying for nothing, i still would like to know how shingles treats us weggies. Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had shingles twice - before diag with WG. If you have had chicken pox the shingles virus is already in your body. I don't think that exposure to someone who has shingles makes you more likely to get it. My shingles came about as a result of stress both times. I have not had it since my WG diagnosis.
    Karen; dx'ed April 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My shingles came about as a result of stress both times.
    I think that is typical of shingles, i.e., stress is associated with an outbreak. On the other hand it could simply be comorbidic. I'm not even sure if comorbidic is a word and I'm not a doctor, but the idea of comorbidic conditions came up in another thread a while back and I found it interesting. Anxiety or stress is often a symptom of a disease, but not necessarily a cause of the disease. The other thread was here (clicky) post #11. However, I know that people often get sick when they are stressed. I think stress or anxiety might adversely affect our immune system. I'm sure there are studies on it somewhere.

As for your exposure to shingles... if you had chicken pox, then, as kaysee said and as Terry Bradshaw (US only?) constantly reminds us on TV, you already have the shingles virus. You would have to ask your doctor, but I doubt exposure would do anything to increase your odds of getting a shingles outbreak. If you are scheduled for surgery, though, its certainly something you would want to discuss with them prior to going into the operating room.

I have 3 doctors taking care of my wegs condition. Four years ago, all 3 urged me to get a shingles vaccination, which I did. No, I don't want to start a vaccination discussion.

If you do ask your doctor if exposure to shingles increases your odds of getting a shingles outbreak, it would sure be nice to know what the answer is. Could you let us all know, please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When my grandfather who was 95 at the time and lived with us had shingles very bad. It is supposeably contagious but no one that was around him ever got it. I wasn't dxed with wg at the time but who know ,I could of had it. Like vdub said since you are going to have surgery ,you might mention it to the drs prior.And TRY not to stress out about it,I'm sure you will be fine.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blessed,
    I have had shingles 3 times, once before dx'd and twice after. The 2 times after were after I had had rtx infusions. I was not exposed to anyone that I know of. I don't know if your doc could give you an antiviral to help prevent it. I would certainly call the doc and ask about your fears. Wishing you all the best. I don't know who said this, but most things we worry about never really happen. Take Care!
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In March 2007 probably as a result of my immune depressed, I got shingles.
    It hurts my head and the left side of my face Again I was hospitalized and got treatment for shingles by Zovirax
    Shingles hurts my sensor nerves. the neurogenic pain of the singles begin after I was released from hospital. This pain interfere the most to my wellbeing. The pain shoots abruptness like a white-hot iron cutting throe my skin. I found myself screaming, irritating. I couldn’t sleep properly couldn't go anywhere, couldn’t drive - couldn’t do anything – it shut me down.
    They tried to treat my neurogenic pain by Elatrolet with no success.
    Till today I cannot sleep on the right side I must lay on the left side with a towel under my head.
    Also I cannot suport a windy weather or to drive with an open window because of my sensitivity in face and head
    so take care an d be patient

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shingles hurts my sensor nerves. the neurogenic pain of the singles begin after I was released from hospital. This pain interfere the most to my wellbeing. The pain shoots abruptness like a white-hot iron cutting throe my skin. I found myself screaming, irritating. I couldn’t sleep properly couldn't go anywhere, couldn’t drive - couldn’t do anything – it shut me down.
    That is really bad! I didn't know shingles left permanent damage to the neuro system. I had heard of blindness if it got in the eyes (happened to my mother-in-law), but not permanent nerve damage.

I'm certainly no doctor and wouldn't pretend to second guess the drugs you have been given, but have you tried gabapentin? Its a neuropath pain blocker. Its been pretty effective for me, however, my pain is not due to shingles. I've never had shingles. I hope they can find something to give you some relief.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my neurologist gave it but no good results ,so I learn to live with it
    I try not to be outside in windy weather and drive with closed windows and so on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shingles is definitely something I don't want to get! And, that's what Terry Bradshaw keeps saying (for those outside the US click here). I wish there was some relieve for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I will research the vaccination. (No vaccination discussion here.) This is something I'd like to avoid getting. I may have had a mild case of chickenpox as a kid. My sibs definitely had it, but I just had a few of what looked like acne pimples, and it was at the right age for acne. Same with mumps, my sibs had it but I didn't really seem to. What was wrong with me? I've had cold sores, another form of herpes, all my life, and none of them have, to speak of. Anyway, I think it's entirely possible I could get shingles if I had a mild case of chickenpox.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast