Thread: GPA and watery eye

Bing505z is offline Banned for being a douchebag
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default GPA and watery eye

Been drug free remission for almost a year now. Blood screens show no activity, yet I have developed a watery left eye. No pain...no redness or puffiness like when I had when first diagnosed. So not sure about this, but I have read that GPA could be the culprit. I have heard of people getting tear duct replacements, so it is a little spooky. Anybody have a symptom like this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bing, not really watery eyes, but maybe it's time for a visit to the ophthalmologist. Better safe than sorry!!!

Good luck & feel better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went through this many years ago on one eye- had surgery . Then about a year ago had the same problem with the other eye. WG can be one cause for this - it was for me. The lacrimal duct drains into our nose. WG can cause scarring of this duct so that the eye no longer drains. This backwater in the eye can then easily become infected. It did for me both times.

Many years ago the only procedure to repair this was called an open DCR. This is the first surgery I had. It worked very well but it is not minor surgery. It involves a two inch incision in the face and a one inch hole drilled through the bone.

The good news is there is no point me talking much about that procedure as there is now a new one. This is the one I had done on my other eye that does not involve an incision in the face.

I had that procedure done at the same time I had sinus surgery done. Two different surgeons.
    Even having both procedures done at the same time it was not what I would call major surgery. They have a very, very high success rate. My doc had me sign something saying they could do an open DCR if the other technique did not work that day. I said.... uh ok, how often do you have to do the open DCR instead? He said, "Knock on wood, we have never had to do it. " I liked those odds.

The new technique has worked every bit as well as the old technique and I enjoy two NON watery eyes that do not get infected.

If you go to the ophthamologist as suggested there is a simple test they do to see if the lacrimal duct is sealed shut or not. It involves injecting saline into the duct with a syringe into the lacrimal duct next to the eye. It is VERY creepy but actually does not hurt much. No big deal.

I think if you are not having infections they might say it would be reasonable to wait and see if the duct opens back up.
    If you do not have infections it is mainly an issue of discomfort and social discomfort at having people always saying "Hey, your eye is watery"

Get checked out like JeanMarie says. Worst case scenario it is a pretty easy fix. I would not get an open DCR again knowing how great the new technique is. I don't know how many docs can do it? It might be common now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Bing, have had eye issues since first being diagnosed over 2 years ago, I go regularly to an ophthalmologist, who has checked my eyes out, flushed out my tear ducts, and everything checks out OK, every time I cough or sneeze my eyes water badly, I suppose its one of those wegs things I just have to live with.....

Such is life.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since having WG I have an issue with this also. It is not severe - just annoying at times. When I wipe my eye people ask if I'm crying. I don't seem to have an infection, but I have not seen an eye Dr.
    Karen; dx'ed April 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have the same thing. Luckily no infections. Ophthalmologist did not recommend surgery, so think it is something that I will have to live with. Have a cataract too, but that is because of the years of prednisone. Worth getting it checked out. Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here, have watery eyes off an on, with tears running down. No evidence of infection. It varies with whatever else is going on, lack of sleep, eating too much of the wrong stuff, whatever else may increase my symptoms. Allergies may be involved, too.... not sure.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eye problems are common with GPA and happen about in 50% of us according to the research. I have had scleritis, watery eyes caused by pred meds, watery eyes caused by dry eyes, (that one puzzled me but when your eyes are dried you produce excess tears in vain attempt to lubricate them) conjunctivitis, and inflammation of eyelids which is probably related to the GPA or having conjunctivitis from suppressed immune system. Certain drops seem to help at times depending upon what is going on with eyes. But I think it is generally another residual symptom that waxes and wanes like coughing or having post nasal drip or other sinus or nasal issues. And just another fringe benefit for this great disease. Everyone with GPA should get regular eye exams though to keep on top of the eye issues.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!