User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More Wegerner's people than thought?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here ya go Tom: Spanish (as in Spain), American Indian, and a wee bit of Scotch. Now what do the docs do with that? Would be interesting to keep track, just to see...personally, I think it may be more of a climate/regional thing as much of the population of the earth is so integrated now it would be very difficult to prove an ethnic/regional propensity to any disease. Well, it could be possible considering regions (hard to get malaria in the desert for example). Just rambling...interesting thought tho Tom. OK, everyone take aim and fire!!! Best to you.
    Last edited by Dirty Don; 04-12-2015 at 03:20 AM.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Hi there Alaskatom,
    I've posted this little tid bit before. My oncologist asked me about my ancestry at one of my appointments as he was just sharing some cancer facts and other information that was interesting!
    The one topic he told me about that was really interesting was that the medical world has noted a distinction of diseases of European ancestry and that of Nordic ancestry!
    It goes something like this, People with European roots tend to suffer from arthritis, vasculitis diseases and other of AI diseases!
    People of Nordic roots tend to suffer from ALS, MS and other muscular diseases more than European rooted folks and the opposite is true for the Nordic ancestry!
    That for what its worth is all I could share on the geographic concentrations as it is an angle that the medical people have looked at!
    He said that when he read a report on it ,he got curious about his patients and their ancestry!
    I guess it feels like a little bit of trivia regarding our journey through all of this! I am of European decent! Great grandparents came from France on dads side and mother is of Irish and german mix decent or so I'm told! It would be interesting where we all would fall and do our own little study and see if it pans out as I was told!
    Yes, very interesting. I haven't spent a lot of time looking at epidemiologic studies, but one bit I saw noted a lower incidence in non-caucasians, and a gradient of incidence increasing from south to north... if I understood correctly. Maybe they controlled for this somehow, but I would still think the availability of treatment and ability to diagnose would make it difficult to figure out. The same study, I think, concluded that the cause is likely multi-factorial, i.e. both genetic and environmental.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ready, aim, I would never fire at you DD. All my ancestors from England, where does that land me? Hope all is well.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by renidrag View Post
    Ready, aim, I would never fire at you DD. All my ancestors from England, where does that land me? Hope all is well.
    Dale
    Pretty much true of me, too. Maybe some small bits of Irish, Scottish, and an even tinier bit of French thrown it.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jakekell View Post
    Tom,

Wow that is a lot of people. I am on 02 at night and have been 4ish years. I don't seem to have had serious lung issues so something tells me with all the sinus issues just not enough air coming through. I don't have an issue in the day or at least didn't seem to be when tested. I have an idea that a lot of wegs may need the 02 and not aware of it. My wegs doc didn't check my 02, but a doc that was into natural cures did. I was put on it right away, not super low at night just enough that I needed it for sure.

I have also read that it was more prevalent in Caucasians, that would be interesting to know the ratio's. A cure would be wonder, they will get the answer one day.

My Family (both side) were Scottish and my dad's side were Vikings that landed in Scotland way, way back. I am 2nd generation in the US.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123