Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lowest Pred before stopping

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default lowest Pred before stopping

Hi I am down to 7.5 mg Pred going to 5mg for a month, is that the lowest or can you go to 2.5mg then stop?
    (does anybody stop, have any of you stopped Pred? for ever!!!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stopped at 5 then zero and yes was off for over 4 years. Most think you should go to 2.5 and then perhaps one. Don't rush it. Went back on then off again.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm holding at 3. After I see my doc in a couple of weeks, I'll either get off mtx or resume the pred taper at -1 mg/month. That would have me off pred in mid-July. I got off about three years ago and was off for 4 months before I had s small flare.

Good luck!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over 2+ years on prednisone I went from 80mg down to either 5 or 7.5, my labs were a little wacky, i believe my red blood cell count tanked, and my rhumy took me off pred and cytoxan. It made me feel horrible for a few weeks as i remember. But i haven't had to take anymore of either of them in the last 13 or so years.
    Dx'd December 2000

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, that's sounding good. I have had extremely good luck - and , extremely bad luck. I was off of prednisone for 20 years. Obviously, that is the good luck. The bad luck is I have now been on prednisone for 15 years and counting. I may never be able to get off of it. It sounds like you have at good shot at it- for ever!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had WG for 4 years and while doing pretty well, haven't gotten lower than 7.5 mg. without having a flare. Everyone is different. I'm now sort of regulating my own pred, with the doc's permission, and since I was recently feeling flarish on 11mg., have been alternating between 15 and 20 mg., with the intention of continuing on some sort of alternating regimen as I taper lower. I have read on here of people having success with alternating dose tapers, like 15mg and 10mg the next, then maybe going to 12mg. alternating with 10mg, or whatnot, and eventually getting off the stuff. Before, I've always just taken the same amount every day, although my doc has suggested alternations at times. We will see how it goes. I wouldn't mind being on a small amount indefinitely, like 2.5mg or 5mg., to help avoid flares, if that's how it works out.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Annekat, the alternating doses to taper is what i did after getting down to 20 or 30mg, been so long i don't remember excatly. I don't feel that it shocks your body as much after getting used to the higher dose.
    And there are some meds that are routinely given with alternating doses. My Coumadin, I take 10mg and 5mg certain days to keep regulated.
    Dx'd December 2000

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I've had WG for 4 years and while doing pretty well, haven't gotten lower than 7.5 mg. without having a flare. Everyone is different. I'm now sort of regulating my own pred, with the doc's permission, and since I was recently feeling flarish on 11mg., have been alternating between 15 and 20 mg., with the intention of continuing on some sort of alternating regimen as I taper lower. I have read on here of people having success with alternating dose tapers, like 15mg and 10mg the next, then maybe going to 12mg. alternating with 10mg, or whatnot, and eventually getting off the stuff. Before, I've always just taken the same amount every day, although my doc has suggested alternations at times. We will see how it goes. I wouldn't mind being on a small amount indefinitely, like 2.5mg or 5mg., to help avoid flares, if that's how it works out.
    I have been at 5 mg pred for past couple years and will likely stay on that dosage indefinitely along with my maintenance dosage of AZA at 175 since the doctors think it will help reduce flares or at least make them milder. The side effects at the lower dosages are minimal too it seems.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been diagnosed for 5 years and have been on pred for 4 years this week (was on Mobic before then).

I have been on 3mg and holding, since January 2013 and doc thinks that this is where I will stay.

Sometimes I think that I feel fine today so I wont take it, but then my brain kicks in and tells me to stop being stupid

Good luck with the reduction Stephen
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is decided 1 month at 5mg --1 month at 2.5mg--1 month at 2.5 every 2 days then STOPI will keep reporting on taper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast