Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cindy Abbott - musher with WG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that is amazing. I'm declaring my own personal 'Cindy Day' today that I will live with more effort , zest, enjoyment and determination in the face of challenges. Yay Cindy!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoopee!! Well done, Cindy!! You and your dogs have made us proud!!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was hoping there would be more coverage of her goal of raising awareness of rare diseases. There was some, but not much. Last night I actually got to hear one of our local sportscasters try to pronounce "Wegener's granulomatosis." (He missed a few syllables.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskatom View Post
    I was hoping there would be more coverage of her goal of raising awareness of rare diseases. There was some, but not much. Last night I actually got to hear one of our local sportscasters try to pronounce "Wegener's granulomatosis." (He missed a few syllables.)
    That would have been nice. The article said that WG affects her vision and circulation, which I'm sure is true, but there is so much more to WG that is not being reported. I'm not blaming anyone, it would be a huge job to really delve into what WG is all about and report it in a way that would make enough of an impression on the general public. Maybe someday, one step at a time. And of course the article is really about Cindy more than about the specifics of the disease. Her efforts to raise awareness are what it's about as much as anything. I'm glad they mentioned her having climbed Mt. Everest.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats Cindy for crossing the finish line.Now you have to come up with another outstanding thing to accomplish
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, and she's the first woman to have achieved both the Everest summit and an Iditarod finish. An amazing accomplishment for any man or woman. Interesting that she says the race was harder than the climb!

The fact that WG was even mentioned in a newscast in Anchorage AK is sort of amazing; I was just thinking that some reporter might have gone a bit further to discuss it a little more in print or on air. Possibly they have and I have not seen it yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One last post on this story - - for those interested, you can hear some nice audio of Cindy at the finish line and some good bio provided by the reporter:

Cindy Abbott Claims 2015 Iditarod Red Lantern Award | Alaska Public Media

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskatom View Post
    One last post on this story - - for those interested, you can hear some nice audio of Cindy at the finish line and some good bio provided by the reporter:

Cindy Abbott Claims 2015 Iditarod Red Lantern Award | Alaska Public Media
    Cindy and the reporter did a great job in this interview. Being last may have actually got her more publicity too. Cindy we are proud of you.
    Great job!
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a star and ambassador for us - I just wish I could do some of those things!
    Diagnosed July 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the most complete article and interview I've seen on Cindy since the race, complete with the transcript of the audio that was shared earlier and is shared again here:
    Her 3rd Attempt at the Last Great Race, Cindy Abbott Claims Red Lantern Finish in Nome | KNOM Radio Mission
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast