Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Having a hard time getting help with a disability appeal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Having a hard time getting help with a disability appeal

I was chosen to be reevaluated for my disability. I not only have Wegener's I also have ulcerative colitis. Currently my ulcerative colitis has fallen out of remission & I have been seeing my GI Dr. quite regularly. I also have an procedure scheduled at the Mayo Clinic to replace my septal button in April. April is when my disability runs out & I will be without Medicare A & B. I filled out the required paperwork within the 10 days to have my disability be reconsidered. I've tried calling disability lawyers for help navigating through this reconsideration & the appeal but they only help people that are first applying for disability. I feel very frustrated that there seems to be no one with experience in cases like this that are willing to help me get together the appropriate records & other info. so I don't lose my healthcare. Has anyone else been through this or someone who knows where I can seek help?
    Sincerely,
    Corajo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi CoraJo, if you already filed an appeal there is not a whole lot you can do at this time but to wait. Are you on any immune suppressants ? If you can get your dr. to write on a script that you are unable to work for a least a year and send it to them. But there is also a section ( is is in one of the threads on here from about a year ago ) that is from the S.S. handbook regarding being disabled and I am sure it said that this disease is considered eligible for disability. If you can't find the thread maybe you can google it. I used to work for S.S. lawyers and they will fight for you through the appeal although they will take a percentage if you win. You can try to get all your records,scans and anything you can from drs and hosps. and go to your local S.S. offfice and submit it before they make another decission. Good luck.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for replying Debra. I will definitely try to find that thread or search the internet for it. I have contacted many lawyers in regards to my situation but I get turned down (not even a free consult) because they only receive 25% & I guess the amount isn't high enough to bother with me on a reconsideration or an appeal. I am still wait to find out if they are even going to reconsider my case. I sent the paperwork in on 2/11/15. Yes I am on an immune suppressant medication. I just can't seem to find anyone in this area that can help me navigate & prepare for an appeal. Thanks again for your suggestion on this thread.��

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though I worked for lawyers, I did my own and I just went down to my local office. They have to reconsider your appeal but like I said if you can get some stuff together and take it down there in person MAYBE they will submit it before the next decission is made. Then you will have to wait ( if you are turned down ) and do it all over again. Why don't you call the SS office by you tomorrow and see what they suggest or is there a 800 # on you letter they sent you..call them.Also call Mayo clinic and get your records amd explain the situation,maybe the dr will send them some info and maybe you can get your appt. moved up before your insurance runs out. ( I don't think I would tell them you won't have ins. though ,they may not do it ??? Hope this helps. Also the letter my pulmy wrote was that my immune system was so low that I would be unable to work for at least a year.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of the info mentioned here can be found on the SS Disability website, including the List of Impairments, which lists vasculitis as an impairment worthy of consideration for benefits. Unfortunately, navigating the site for any information on anything has always proven convoluted and difficult for me. I've also found info just by googling and running across sites that aren't government connected but are just blogs and such where people discuss these things. I'm on SS Disability and this would be the year I could come up for review, I was told, but not that I necessarily would. I'm turning 63 and will thus be eligible for regular Social Security if I should have my Disability taken away. I thought I had read somewhere in their literature that in such cases, Medicare would continue, at least for a time, even though one is not yet the normal age of 65 for getting it. I'm feeling doubtful that I'll get reviewed, because of my age. I've had no indication that there is any date beyond which my benefits will expire, unless they should decide to review me and I lose. I hope I'm not in for any surprises. I do work at a self-employed small business, but don't make the limit of what they allow each month or, in other words, enough for them to consider it "gainful employment." My Wegs flares when I try to reduce meds, or during periods of stress and in the winter. Otherwise, I'm in much better shape than some. So I don't know what to think. These things float around in my head but are hard to pin down as to what to expect or what their policies are. I wonder if you are a lot younger than I and maybe that's why they are focusing on you. Age should not matter in these cases where people are clearly impaired by a chronic condition that is beyond their control. Best of luck in getting some good and accurate advice.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011