User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone done dialysis? My kidneys are so bad, nephrologist mentioned possibility

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Has anyone done dialysis? My kidneys are so bad, nephrologist mentioned possibility

If I need to do it, I will ask for the peritoneal, which you do yourself overnight.I see my rheumatologist on Tuesday.This is really major stuffand needs to be discussed.
    Not too thrilled. Any suggestions? I am kind of desperate, Sorry to vent my anxiety on here.Most people dont understand,as you all know. Wegs is invisible, so since
    there is no bleeding or pain, its all in your head.....Thanks for hearing me out !!!!I will let you know............

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sure hope you don't have to do dialysis. I know several people on dialysis and it is a major hassle. However, I have heard of people who do the peritoneal type dialysis and that sure would seem to be the way to go. I don't know anyone personally, though. If I had to do dialysis, I think I would rant, too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magnolia, we always give each other permission to rant and vent on here, so don't worry about that. Although I don't have kidney involvement, I could someday, and that in itself is a reason to pay attention to your post and what you are going through. We are here for each other because it is hard to find many people who understand, or who are truly here for us, as you know. There are people here with kidney involvement who will surely reply.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went to Nephrologist who showed me my markers: creatinine, etc., have been getting worse. He gave me a choice, wait one more week or get bloodwok tomorrow and start dialysis on Thursday.Lovely,
    isnt it? I wil do it because I dont wamt to get worse.I see my Rheumy tomorrow.Maybe she will put me on Rituxan again.....Anyway, at least the weather is nice.Thanks, my friends...Any suggestions?
    Magnolis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magnolia,

I'm new to this and started with dialysis to clean up my toxins due to kidney failure (then they discovered the GPA). The dialysis method may depend on whether they think it is short term recoverable or longer term. If longer term then word from doctors I've talked to is many of them would go for home dialysis due to work/like considerations. Since I was an emergency situation they did a central line (permanent catheter) for 2 months and worked with me to get the BUN/creatinine levels down and fluids off. It was good for only 2 months though and was taken out.

Kgnboy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As kgnboy said, you may only need dialysis for a "short" period then haemodialysis will be your only option. This did the trick for me, but everytime that I've had a relapse my kidneys have been damaged further. They are now at a stage where I will need to be on permanent dialysis in the future. I am unsure which dialysis I will chose, but I'm also leaning towards peritoneal.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One other consideration with peritoneal dialysis is that it's not recommended beyond 5 years.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magnolia, I am fortunate not to have kidney involvement but I just wanted to say that I feel bad for what you are going through because every time I get my bloodwork done ,thats the first thing I look for is if this went to my kidneys yet. I hope all goes well with your ruemy appt. and hopefully the blood work will improve
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Debra, I appreciate your concern.Hopefully you will not have kidney involvement. Today I went to dialysis. Not a lot of fun. tomorrow, I have plans to go out with friends.
    Keeping busy does help.
    Wish you the best,
    Magnolia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry you had to have dialysis but hopefully your kidneys will start improving. Did they say how long you will have to have it ?
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast