User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My "medication ideal"-is it realistic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My "medication ideal"-is it realistic?

Hi guys. So short story, i have taken 12.5 of mtx and 100mg of immuran together for the past 8 years. Did only immuran before that for 4 years. Treat flares with prednisone. Prolly used the pred 10 times in 12 years. So i dont go real long between. My dr has suggested trying rituxan to try n keep me in a longer remission. I am currently working off pred from a flare in december. It would be my dream to do rituxan, and get off ATLEAST the mtx. Is there anyone out there who has reached this and had success? It sounds too good to be true. And the LAST thing im after is adding another drug, while remaining on my current ones. I really feel my body needs a break from mtx. Thoughts? I talk to rheumatology the 23rd and i want to be prepared to discuss my options. Thankyou!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't bear Imuran. mtx didn't work for me. bactrim elevated my liver functions abnormally. after years of being treated only on pred and smoldering all the time, and getting worse, I insisted 2 years ago to get rtx. I had a battle with the health service (it costs them a lot) but I got it. got into remission after the second round of rtx. getting it every 6 months. still I can't be without daily 5 mg of pred.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by im so blessed View Post
    Hi guys. So short story, i have taken 12.5 of mtx and 100mg of immuran together for the past 8 years. Did only immuran before that for 4 years. Treat flares with prednisone. Prolly used the pred 10 times in 12 years. So i dont go real long between. My dr has suggested trying rituxan to try n keep me in a longer remission. I am currently working off pred from a flare in december. It would be my dream to do rituxan, and get off ATLEAST the mtx. Is there anyone out there who has reached this and had success? It sounds too good to be true. And the LAST thing im after is adding another drug, while remaining on my current ones. I really feel my body needs a break from mtx. Thoughts? I talk to rheumatology the 23rd and i want to be prepared to discuss my options. Thankyou!
    The severity of your flare will probably determine how many infusions of Rituxin you need. It takes several weeks to take full effect. In addition to the Rituxin, you will also be given a steroid (probably solumedrol) and an antihistamine to minimize any allergic reaction. The first infusion will likely take at least five hours. Any subsequent infusions will take less time.

To answer your question, I believe that it could be possible to get off at least one of your maintenance drugs. I wonder why you're on both Immuran and methotrexate anyway. I had two infusions of rituxin in October '13 to knock down the beginnings of kidney involvement - none since. I currently take 15 mg/week of methotrexate and 3 mg/day of prednisone. When I see my rheumatologist next month, we're going to discuss a plan to get me off all meds by year end.

Good luck and better health!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete,

I hope you are able to get off the meds!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw my rheumy on monday. I am having a surgery in april and she does not want to risk giving me rituxan before a surgery. So plan is to stay on all im on until june, and then start the process for the infusion. My question is- if my disease is quiet by then, would i still go ahead with plans? My flare is currently in my airway and i tried going off pred after 3 months, unsuccessfuly. The surgery is for endometriosis in my abdomen, been causing much pain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel for you. My daughter-in-law has endometriosis also and I hate seeing her in such pain. She has had two surgeries for it. She is now trying to get pregnant but not being successful. I wish you the best. I have WG and have had Rituxan infusions this past July and then again in October. My pred has been tapered down to nothing following the rituxan. I have been off pred since mid February. I am taking no other maintenance meds for the WG and I am currently doing fine. So far no flar. I've only been diagnosed since last April.
    Karen; dx'ed April 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow Kaysee that's great that you are able to be off everything.I wish I could get off this pred.I any ask the dr. again Tues.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blessed,
    I am curious also about you taking two immune suppressants. I feel for you having endometriosis, I battled that for several years and with numerous clean up surgeries and a lot of different meds to try and regress it. I was trying to have children at that time and took a lot of fertility meds. It finally got to bad ( the pain and the sticking everything together) and, I had to have a hysterectomy at 34. I truly believe that it is an autoimmune disorder, even though some docs say it isn't. I wish you all the best with your surgery and treatments for both Wegs and endometriosis.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had four RTX infusions (800mg / Double dose) each in January 2015, I take 8mg of Methylprednisolone each day along with 15mg Methotrexate each week. I am still not in remission. I am very sick each day with many complications. I will start Humira in two weeks in an effort to reduce my Ulcerative Colitis as I have been bleeding with uncontrollable diarrhea for about two years. Sorry I didn't have good news but it just has not worked out for me yet as I hope to get into remission sometime this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had RTX only once (4 infusions) in May/June of 2012. I have not had any since. Initially, my doc wanted to put me on a maintenance program but due to my work I asked if we could wait it out.

I have been just taking imuran and bactrim, along with a few other meds (like a stomach pill, etc) for the past year or so with no issues. I have been off prednisone for a long time now. So far so good with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast