Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Azathioprine, the necessary evil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Azathioprine, the necessary evil

The eternal balancing act between dying of an incurable disease and treatments which have side-effects has taken a turn for the worse recently.

Apparently that "slightly lower than ideal white blood cell count" I've been having this year was an manifestation of The (necessary) Evil That Is Azathioprine.

It started with a bicycle ride (surprisingly enough) the other day which ended with severe and sharp pain in my right knee.

A swift visit to my GP secured a referral for an MRI.

Suspected meniscus tear, common enough for serious cyclists (not that I am, serious that is). But hey, we'll have a look-see and find something, won't we....(careful what you wish for)

Then the radiologist calls my GP and says "perhaps the patient has Bone Marrow Cancer" (dunh dunh dunh DAAAAAH). {oh looky! apparently also high blood pressure }

To which my GP replied ... "Or it could just be 'a typical side effect of Azathioprine'. I forgot to mention that incurable life threatening condition he's been under treatment for these past several years."

Of course "typical" in this case does not in any way negate connotations of "potentially life threatening". (where's the icon for "insert several loud expletives here"?)
    Last edited by Pierre42; 03-12-2015 at 09:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear about the news. Hope further evals don't reveal any dire news.

Unfortunately our treatment for Wegs does increase our risk of getting several forms of cancer but we hope the years in between will be good years if this unfortunate event does happen. An increased risk doesn't mean it will happen and most times it won't. But bad things like Wegs, infections that can be fatal, and things like cancer can and do happen and then we have to deal with them as best we can. Hoping you don't get any real bad news and that things turn out OK and the knee heals quickly.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Pierre, That life saving drug Azathiaprine does some strange things, or maybe its the wegs, WHO KNOWS . I have random aches and nerve pain, in different parts of my body, had trouble with my eyes for 3 months or so, now they are good. I had trouble with my feet for 8 months, sharp pain in my big toes, pain in my left foot that made it difficult to walk, now my feet are great, but I now have pain in both my elbows, whats next on the list, I will have to wait and see!!!!!!!! All the best.

Life is like a box of chocolates....... you never know what you are going to get......

Regards Warren.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Hi Pierre, That life saving drug Azathiaprine does some strange things, or maybe its the wegs, WHO KNOWS . I have random aches and nerve pain, in different parts of my body, had trouble with my eyes for 3 months or so, now they are good. I had trouble with my feet for 8 months, sharp pain in my big toes, pain in my left foot that made it difficult to walk, now my feet are great, but I now have pain in both my elbows, whats next on the list, I will have to wait and see!!!!!!!! All the best.

Life is like a box of chocolates....... you never know what you are going to get......

Regards Warren.
    I get all those things and I'm on mexthotrexate, along with pred. My feet are the most annoying, in some ways. They will be fine sometimes, but then will suddenly have sharp pains and cramps. Still some neuropathy in them, too, mostly noticeable at night when I'm trying to fall asleep, and the cramps will be worst then, too. I think it's the Wegs, but like you say, WHO KNOWS?
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Pierre, hope things work out for you. I also have neuropathy in my feet and continue to have sharp pains any time during the day, walking is not fun for me however I still try to walk one mile, three times a week. I have started taking 250mg of Magnesium daily and a lot of the cramping has disappeared. OK to take with Warfarin.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by renidrag View Post
    Hey Pierre, hope things work out for you. I also have neuropathy in my feet and continue to have sharp pains any time during the day, walking is not fun for me however I still try to walk one mile, three times a week. I have started taking 250mg of Magnesium daily and a lot of the cramping has disappeared. OK to take with Warfarin.
    Dale
    I take a calcium/magnesium supplement and thought I'd heard of the Mg being helpful... so glad to hear that confirmed. My cramping is sporadic and maybe would be worse without it.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pierre,sorrry you had to go through that,being told that you may have bone marrow cancer. Maybe someone should tell the radiologist that stress isn't good for this life-threating disease!!!!

So are you on med for high blood pressure now ? Can they give you something else besides aza? Hope you feel better soon and stop those late nite bike rides for awhile !!!
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on azathioprine too and didn't even realize that it increases the risk of cancer. Sometimes I think docs don't mention these things for fear of scaring us, as if we're not already terrified! I would like complete information on which to make informed decisions, not a paternalistic filtering of details on a need-to-know basis. Sorry, that was a bit of a hijack. Just surprised to learn this. Clearly, I still have a lot more to learn.

i hope and pray for you that you're experiencing non-cancerous, non-degenerative aches and pains of a Weggie's wonky immune system. Please let us know.
    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, she became a butterfly.
    - English proverb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

erm, just to be clear - I am not suggesting that azathioprine causes cancer ....

- one of the less likely but well known side-effects of Azathioprine is an impact/degrading of your bone marrow (with subsequent lower White Blood Cell Count)
    - radiologist reading your MRI who doesn't know you are on Azathioprine might see this impact to your bone marrow and think it is Bone Marrow Cancer (cue spooky music)

+ Bonus! (another reason to lower my Azathioprine dose)
    - Bugger! (at some point lower dose will equal too low and I will get to "enjoy" another flare: crossed fingers that's a looooooooooooooooooooong way off)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fingers crossed

That is a scary thought about radiologist reading your scans,they don't know all the info going on with you. That's why I try to get the dr. to look at the disc and hear it from them.I go for a lung ct next week,keeping my fingers crossed on that too
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast