Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Azathioprine, the necessary evil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if you have heard a verdict yet for cancer vs torn meniscus (praying for meniscus) but I am an MRI tech and we hear MANY stories and scenarios leading up to injuries.
    Those with cancer, ms, on and on (I've never scanned anyone with wegs) always suspect the disease while those without a serious illness just know they hurt their knee.
    I don't know what I'm trying to say exactly, except even though we have wegs, we still have excellent chances for the wear and tear that everyone has. Knee injuries are very common. They keep us in business. Go with the horse and not the zebra until otherwise warranted.
    If you can do this, let me know how you did it, because I blame everything on wegs and it tears me up inside.

Sent from my iPhone while driving on the freeway, eating salt, and drinking a 78oz soda.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, drs are not very good at reading radiology stuff for the most part. The tech should ask you what you did to hurt you self or what your symptoms are. You should tell the tech that you have wegs and rake chemo. Then say your knee hurt after riding a bike and your dr would like to know if it is wegs related or a simple injury. If they are a halfway decent tech, they will relate what you say to the radiologist.

Sent from my iPhone while driving on the freeway, eating salt, and drinking a 78oz soda.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx greenjeep for the info. I have to go get my ct scan of my lungs Thurs. I am so scared cuz my chest hurts so bad when I breathe,I think its from over doing yoga and at the gym. But I will make sure I tell them. I don' even want to get my bloodwork done next week since my #'s were high last time.

Sorry I hyjacked your thread Pierre and greenjeep don't text and drive and drink and eat or you will end up in the hosp.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Godspeed Debra. Hope all turns out for the best. Also, I can't help it - I'm a rebel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    Thx greenjeep for the info. I have to go get my ct scan of my lungs Thurs. I am so scared cuz my chest hurts so bad when I breathe,I think its from over doing yoga and at the gym. But I will make sure I tell them. I don' even want to get my bloodwork done next week since my #'s were high last time.

Sorry I hyjacked your thread Pierre and greenjeep don't text and drive and drink and eat or you will end up in the hosp.
    i'm glad you are getting the CT scan. That's what was happening with me right before I was dx'ed, and got a CT scan. But it wasn't just breathing issues, it was all kinds of coughing, night sweats, fatigue, fevers, coughing up blood, headaches, red eyes, the whole nine yards. I hope the results are OK. Will be thinking of you and praying it goes well.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for clarifying! I hope you got reassuring results. I would love to decrease or get off the aza either way... Not sure what my throat and Jose would do without it though. Seems most people need to stay on something, I'm just not sure because still don't know whether my ribs were actually WG in the first place. Something to bring up at my next rheum. Appt. And another hijack! Sorry.
    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, she became a butterfly.
    - English proverb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coughing up blood is never a good sign.

When it happened to me (all those years ago) that explained why I'd basically felt like I had been slowly drowning for the last several weeks (I was, drowning in my own blood).

When I was woken from the ensuing medically induced coma (two weeks later) I learned a new word - "Plasmapheresis".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre42 View Post
    erm, just to be clear - I am not suggesting that azathioprine causes cancer ....
    Really? i thought it certainly increased ones risks for getting cancer. If I understood correctly it may also cause some spinal poisoning if you don't have the genes working that break down the drug. That's usually screened for with the TMTP (or soemthing) gene test.

I'm currently on Aza, in my country they don't screen for the genes with the test, but I managed to get myself tested though and was fine. I guess they just follow the blood tests very carefully in the beginning to spot for anomalies.
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12