Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality Check

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was probably thinking," OH CRAP!" Crap, crap and more crap!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure! I figured he'd be worried so I reassured him that wasn't my plan. But you know, he didn't have a sense of humor before all that, either. For days I'd been trying to get a laugh out of him--nothing. I think he had a chronic deficiency of joy. That's worse than Wegs!

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread topic more with my joking around. It's too important....
    Last edited by Sangye; 11-20-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being awake happens, I think I told everone about my nose surgery and being awake for part of it. No mystery there unfortunate miscalculation of how much drug to give and voila we have an aware patient. I am sorry you experienced the drowning effect, after my thyroidectomy they extubated me to quickly and had to bag me for over 30 minutes, my saving grace is that I don't remember any of this.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default So sorry

Universal health care is so important. My daughter and her family, who is now in remission, would have lost her home and all her savings if not for our Canadian health care system. General GP's often miss WG and if in doubt call it pneumonia. By the time it is discovered, it might be to late or damage already done.

Traceys Dad (Mike
    Tracey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default No way - no government controlled health system!!!!!!

The worse thing that can happen in the US the a giant HMO called the federal health care program!!!!!! I have the best PPO money can buy (and it takes up a lot of our money) BUT I can control my life!!! No administrator can make MY medical decisions!!! Only my doctors! I have a VERY strong opinion in this area - personal experience!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If most Americans were without health insurance, there would be riots and demands to get National Health care now! There were patients that I took care of who were without insurance. Many of them homeless, I tried to find a safe place for them. Many would have to stay in the hospital till we found a place for them. Another reason our health care cost are high is that we pay for foreigners without insurance. If the women are pregnant then they get medicaid. I'm all for foreigners getting health care and immunizations shot's free. If they didn't they would be spreading diseases. Some parents are afraid to immunize their children because they think their child will get Autism. The CDC is seeing an increase in Measles because of that. I'm going off topic, but my main point is that everyone needs insurance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've voiced my thoughts on the British NHS system many times on these pages and can't understand why anyone would be against it. Basically, I've received all the treatment I've ever required regardless of cost, quickly and virtualy free on the word of whatever doctor I have chosen to see with no intervention from anyone. I understand from web research that the cost per patient is half that spent in the US and the outcomes on average more favourable.
    Last edited by Jack; 11-30-2009 at 01:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have known 2 Weggies who died either because they lacked insurance--and therefore couldn't afford proper care-- or because they lacked adequate insurance-- and therefore couldn't afford proper care.

We have one member in this group who is losing facial bone at an alarming rate, but can't stop working long enough to get proper medical care-- for fear of losing her job and therefore her insurance.

Even though I have my own private insurance (and it has excellent coverage), maintaining it while I've been unable to work has been financially disastrous. Just the premiums alone eat up 84% of my Disability income-- my only income. Add an annual deductible of $3,000 to that. And when I went to Mayo AZ, they didn't take my insurance, so I had to pay the difference every time. A single follow-up appointment would cost me at least $300.

If that isn't rationing of care then what is? I would have died without Mayo. My local docs had just about killed me several times.

The US government already has a "giant HMO" called Medicare-- universally loved. Look at the uproar that happens when someone even hints at "Medicare cuts." I have Medicare also, since I've been on Disability for over 2 yrs. I love it. Wish I could keep it. But when I go back to work at some point, I'll lose Medicare and will have to rely on the insurance I have.

So I choose between paying rent or paying my health insurance premium every month. Every month! I can't even begin to describe the intense, relentless stress this has caused me. I don't deserve that. No one does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sorry about the rant!

You are correct: Medicare and Disability are great. And yes I believe everyone should be able to get health care. This Reform the government is talking about has some good things and some very bad things. I have had some terrible experiences with HMOs which are companies (a business to make money) who control the medical decisions: the doctors are their employees! The Federal Plan would be the government trying to save money and provide everyone with health care. Conceptually - this sounds great, but the devil is in the details. In a nut-shell: some would benefit and some would would not (me being in the second group).

If I would have had my PPO and not Kaiser HMO: I would have gotten diagnosed years - years earlier and not have experienced some of the damage which is now permanent. I pay $1600/mo for my PPO and that takes almost my whole salary (lucky we are a two income family), but just one of my medications costs over $1800/month (and I pay $20 for it).

OK, I going to stop now because it scares me to death when anyone tries to mess will my ability to control my medical care. Right now I can control my treatment and I am so AFRAID of loosing that ability.

I do agree that something needs to be done - costs are too high. Why does one medication cost $1800!!! Is it made with gold. I know about all of the costs of research, FDA trails, etc... but the drug companies should not be getting rich while the people who need these drugs cannot afford them.

Hey, has anyone in the US found a condensed version of the current health care reform bill? If yes, could you post a link to it.

Sangye, You are great! "For days I'd been trying to get a laugh out of him--nothing. I think he had a chronic deficiency of joy. That's worse than Wegs!" With all that you have been through, you have a great attitude - you inspire me
    Last edited by Cindy; 11-30-2009 at 04:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, Kaiser HMO is very famous for being the worst. (For a LONG time, too!) Glad you survived them!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast