Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Too Early for "Wow?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear you have swine flu! I had my jab this morning so I live in hope that I'll miss it.

Already got the car, car tax and blue badge. The problem is that the hospitals here have strict parking policies and have recently remarked their parking bays to make them tidier (but fewer!). All the other roads are marked up so that you can't even park with the blue badge. I can't walk very far so if I don't get a space near the door its a problem. Also, some of the hospitals I visit are so big! Lots of walking involved and I don't usually have anyone to help me with a hospital wheelchair.

Nothing to complain about considering the journey some people have to make.
    Last edited by Jack; 11-22-2009 at 02:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the car tax?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry Sangye road tax

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the road tax?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Sangye it's what you have to pay in england to have your car on the public roads hope that helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To use a car on the roads in the UK you need -

A driving licence.

Insurance.

An anual MOT if the car is over 3 years old - this is an inspection of the car to check that it is in good condition.

Road Fund Licence (car tax) - this is based on the age of the vehicle and its fuel consumption and needs renewing each year. Road tax

This information is all stored on a central data base and the police use automatic cameras to check your registration number against the details to make sure that you are legal. If not, they can tow your car on the spot.

If you have a medical condition that has a big impact on your ability to get around you are entitled to an allowance sufficient to pay for the lease of a small car and all its running costs. You can top this up with your own lump sum payment to lease bigger cars. I am lucky (?) enough to qualify for this as it is one of the few benefits that are not income dependant.
    Last edited by Jack; 11-22-2009 at 04:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default More on dogs' cute butts

Ok Doug, that was pretty funny! And I have to agree that cats do not have "cute behinds" but (ha-ha) I have never looked at a dog's backside in that way: I will try to be more observant

PS - I am a nap lover! 30-40 minutes I am feel re-energized.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    If you have a medical condition that has a big impact on your ability to get around you are entitled to an allowance sufficient to pay for the lease of a small car and all its running costs. You can top this up with your own lump sum payment to lease bigger cars.
    You have GOT to be kidding. If I hear one complaint about the NHS from any of you guys, watch out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was pretty happy when I discovered it, its the only thing I can claim from the state apart from my NHS provision. Everything else is means tested so mainly goes to children, the elderly and poor. It is not a scheme that is that well advirtised for some reason.

Doug Guest

Of course not. If people knew about it...~! Sounds like a pretty good benefit. In the US, each state has its own taxing scheme for vehicle registration and taxation, which are done on an annual basis. Unlike Europe, where engine displacement and fuel efficiency are rewarded with lower taxes, the more you pay for a car (in my state) the more you pay in taxes as it's all based on property value. There is no break for people with disabilities, unlike the UK, and they pay the same tax as everyone else. The special plates for the vehicle, however, are no additional cost over regular plates, though a person has to provide a doctor's statement on their disability and its permanence before the license plates for the vehicle can be obtained. The blue tags you hang from the mirror just require a doctor's statement to the effect you can't walk a certain distance (200 ft., I think it is), a little paperwork (one sheet with basic information). They are good for two years in my state. To my best knowledge, all states have their own requirements, one of the tedious things about the USA: we fought a Civil War over slavery, but the rights of states to pass laws on most issues other than national security and stuff like that was a secondary issue. Still is!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123