Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osteoporosis drugs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Osteoporosis drugs

Helle everyone, I am hoping someone can give me some advice re osteoporosis drugs. Although I have only recently been diagnosed with Wegener's/ Churg Strauss a DEXA scan showed osteoporosis in my lumbar spine 2 years ago, I already had it in neck of femur. I have had inhaled steroids for asthma for many years, I have a genetic predisposition and I have a parathyroid adenoma which is also a contributory factor.

I have been on varying doses of prednisolone since December, so my GP has referred me to a rheumatologist, whom I've already seen, before I had this diagnosis. I know I'm going to be given drug treatment which I don't want. I've tried biphosphanates which I think started my problems with reflux. I also tried strontium for three months over a year ago and I had lots of crazy ectopic heart beats on it.

I have researched these drugs and the evidence for use doesn't seem great, I also think if they are stopping breakdown of bone, how do you get new bone, which is an ongoing process. I regularly do exercises to build my core strength and balance exercises, I walk a fair amount, me and the dog.

My vasculitis Dr suggested them, but when I said no, he didn't push it. Also my personal theory is that DEXA scans only show density not tensile strength. I don't know how to manage this rheumatology appointment without annoying the Dr.

I would be appreciative of any advice even if it's just to tell me I'm a numty.

mb

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of our drugs have risks or side effects it seems. These should be discussed with you and if you don't like the choices offered it is always good to seek out a second pinion if time and resources permits. One of the GPA centers of excellence is a good place to start if you can swing it. Some times they are more up to date on the latest and best techniques to treat any problem and can offer another alternative that you might find better for you. I know that is why many people in my area and myself go to Mayo or seek out referrals for other second opinions from another doctor who might have more experience or expertise in an area of our concern.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dr. at CC wants me to go to a dr. about my ostereoporsis since my lower spine is getting worse each year. She suggested I get a shot that will last from 6 mos. to a year since I have espohgsis (sp ? ) issues,instead of taking another pill. But like you ,I am not crazy about the side effects and once given a shot there is no taking it back,with pills if there is a problem I can always stop taking them. I have an appt. next month so I can let you know then.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one who gets a Reclast infusion every year?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lisa, is reclast for osteoporosis?
    Karen; dx'ed April 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, i think it works by helping your body build bones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have less than 90 days left of a two year dosing of Forteo. I take a 20mcg shot every day. I first took once a week Fosamax but couldn't deal with the upset stomach issues that it caused. Then Dr suggested this Forteo. Supposedly its a biological that helps build bone and after the 2 year dosing period I shouldn't ever have to take another Osteo medication. Other than elevated ALP, I've had no issues, however with all drugs come risks. I felt this was a better option than a weekly/monthly pill or yearly IV.
    I can certainly understand your apprehension. I won't have another bone density test till next year. I guess the proof will be in the scan as to whether or not this drug has helped. I did recently have a scan on my hip joint and can report that it was a-ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaMac View Post
    Am I the only one who gets a Reclast infusion every year?
    I never heard of it but I really haven't done alot of research on different meds...just what I see advertised on t.v. I was going to see what he suggests and go from there ,but again I am not good with meds so I am really not big on getting any shots or infusions. Have you had any side effects from it and how long have you been getting those ???
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No side effects that I have noticed. I go in once a year, have a half hour long infusion, drink a lot of water, and that's it. It seems to be working so I don't argue when my doc suggests it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also get the yearly infusion. A day later I feel like I have the flu for 2 days and then some tolerable lingering symptoms for a week afterwards. But it's better than suffering from GERD!
    I am a strong person, but every now and then I also need someone to take my hand & say everything will be alright....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast