Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Exercising - prednisone

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Exercising - prednisone

Just joined the YMCA and will attend my first swimming class today. Walked and rode a bike on Wed. Tired of the weight gain over the past 9 years since I was diagnosed with WG. Will see how I do. Anyone else had luck with losing weight after starting an exercise program.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Meredith!!

Good for you on the exercise program. Be sure to warm up gently before you really get going. The tendons and ligaments will be a bit brittle after long-term pred.

As for weight loss, here are a couple of thoughts...

1. Watch your portion sizes.
    2. Eat healthy. My wife and I have pretty much gone off gluten. We don't eat much in the way of processed foods. We try to avoid GMOs and eat more organic foods.
    3. We gave up soda. Too much HFCS. Diet soda is worse.
    4. You may want to follow the thread "Any virtual workout buddies out there" so you can see how others are progressing and share your successes.

Since starting exercising in earnest about a year ago coupled with the above, I've lost most of 20 pounds. I'm at my target weight. Next week, I'm meeting with a trainer to see what exercises I can do to rebuild muscle mass and get rid of my "pred paunch".

Good luck. Keep us posted about your progress. Remember: one.step.at.a.time!!
    Last edited by Pete; 02-14-2015 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Spelling. Added link.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Meredith!
    Just returned from our local gtm today after a meeting with a trainer. 7 years since DX for me and 42lbs extra! We do eat healthily but i seem unable to shift any weight. Pete is right about the tendons and ligaments, I have recently started a yoga class as I have suffered through torn hamstrings etc, I believe its the way froward for me. Every long journey begins with one small step, keep strong and wishing you all the very best! Keep us informed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found the most effective thing for me (both before becoming ill and after diagnosis) is a regular walking program. It's low impact yet very beneficial. I think resistance exercise of some kind is also important to counter the effects of prednisone. I use 5lb and 10lb weights, and also do crunches and pushups and gentle stretching. I'm not much of a swimmer, but I'd guess that would combine the aerobic and resistance components nicely. Even if you don't shed pounds like crazy... it will make you feel good. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still working on it. I have dropped pred altogether and walk one mile every three days, when it is NOT SNOWING, sorry, another storm coming tomorrow, haven't been able to see any appreciable drop, yet.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thing to try is some type of weight bearing excerise,this will help prevent osteoporsis. Good luck all ! I am still working on that 10 lbs I want to lose than I will be where I was.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello! I'm one of the ones who my docs call "loses weight on prednisone". When I mention my meds no one believes that I'm on steroids...(though I did develop osteopenia, skin thinning and cataracts) I've read books, researched med.journals and tested some strategies myself. So when I was put on 60mg (pred.) multiple times in the past I managed to keep my weight down, the only noticeable change was a slight increase in my cheeks. You do need to change your eating habits if you want to lose weight, exercise is essential too! I've been into yoga for the past year and a half. Any kind of activity is great, so pick what fits you best and the results will be worthy! But here is what helps me when rocking high steroids:
    1. I noticed that any dairy products cause my skin to become oily and I get to develop acne, so I avoid or minimize their consumption completely.
    2. Quick, fast carbs (white bread, pasta etc...) any sweets, like chocolates, fruits with high sugar content give me the wonderful cheeks and make my crazy pred. brain crave them more.
    3. Aside from the fact that I'm vegetarian, but when on steroids I'm almost fully a vegan. For people who consume meat, try and be modest and dont eat fatty meals, go for lean protein.
    4. Avoid or limit salt. (I just get it from the foods I eat.)
    5. Snack on veggies, fruits and berries like blueberries, green apples etc.
    6. Exercise
    7. Drink water, a lot, so your body will not try and keep it inside your joints, legs, hands, face etc.
    My cravings while on 60mg drove me mad, throughout time I've noticed that I craved what I exposed myself to first. So my very first time I didnt want to give up milk chocolate, so for weeks I was only thinking about nutella with muffins, needless to say it turned into daily consumption of nutella...though I didnt have big meals, my cheeks became wider than a newspaper but the rest of my body stayed slim...that is when I learned about quick carbs, sweets and exposure to them. The next time, after a flare, I totally ignored the above mentioned and instead got hooked on a cabbage+cucumber salad. The outcome was great though, I was obsessed with the salad and was satisfied when had it for lunch literally everyday! Be careful with what you eat So, let me share my typical day:
    For breakfast I'd have a huge bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon, blueberries, peanut butter etc (I called it the ball of goodies) Seriously though, it is a smart meal, I was full and half the time didnt have the need to snack on anything for hours.
    Lunch: Im very used to fresh salads of any sort with a side of sweet potato, brown or wild rice. Veggie soups!
    Dinner: Soups, or quinoa, buckwheat...
    Swimming is a great choice! Most definitely keep it up! The benefits you get from swimming are endless!!! This is my experience and what helps me, I hope you find some helpful tips... Remember, the food you eat is essential! Watch your body and your progress!
    Last edited by Ailish; 02-16-2015 at 06:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great advice, thanks!