User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pred withdrawal-gastro intestinal issues?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pred withdrawal-gastro intestinal issues?

Hi everyone I am currently reducing my pred from 40mgs. Going down by 5mg every week. I am at 10mg right now. For the past week ive had alot of stomach cramping and diarrhea. I also had the flu and was on tamaflu but been off of that 5 days and the problem continues. Ive read of this being a symptom of withdrawal..anyone deal with this? Im a little suspicious of stomach ulcers too as i take pred and mtx and was using aleve last week I feel nauseous after i eat and dont have an appetite. Hoping its from going off pred and it goes away soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may have reached your point of reduction of pred wherein you and your doc must take note. Sometimes this happens to peeps. I reached 5 then had to go back up for a while, then reduced again and finally. 5mgs a week could be too fast...I did it by 2 1/2 a month! Took a while. I understand everyone wants off pred, but not everyone should be off pred, especially when the speed of reduction can bring symptoms back quickly and fiercely. Also, folic acid can relieve stomach symptoms. Best to you.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you on any acid blockers?
    A dr told me that prednisone can weaken the stomach lining.
    If you have a GI dr, you may want to get it checked out just to be sure.
    Better safe than sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea my esophogus is getting bad with the pred so I am taking 40 mg. of protonix a day along with a strong probiatic for my stomach issues. It seems to have helped. Hope you start to feel better.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !