Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Surgery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Surgery

Went to ENT today and he says I have to have surgery on airway next Friday. Inflammation is closing it again and I have to have a PFT TEST on Monday. Has anybody else had this done and what can I expect? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done a PFT test with a spirometer to assess my asthma. It was very short but challenging on my lungs. They really want to see what your lungs can do. The link below should give you a better idea of what may be involved. It's not bad.

Pulmonary Function Tests | Johns Hopkins Medicine Health Library

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a video of a laryngologist and how he tackles stenosis and inflammation.
    http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.c...html#post88733

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a fantastic video by Dr Lorenz and has all the latest information. If you are having tracheal dilation done I can comment on that. I have had it three times. The first time I was really scared- I shouldn't have been.
    Its not exactly a minor procedure but it is not a real big one either. I got to go home the same day but wasn't allowed to drive myself.
    They also suggest that I stay with someone that night in case I have trouble with swelling. I did do that but had no problems and went home the next day.

Most importantly my ability to breath improved dramatically. In my case they did not do a pft but scoped my airway in the office.

My only suggestion would be to study the video by Dr Lorenz carefully and base your questions on his advice.
    For example: Are they planning to inject steroids? Are they planning on using a laser?

Best of luck. You will feel better from the procedure rather than worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks I guess I should have clarified I had this surgery done in September and have to have it again next Friday. Its very frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish you all the best. I've never had it but it doesn't sound like fun. Let us know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well since we got a foot of snow Monday I couldn't have my pft done. So surgery has been put off for now. Go for tests next week and then hopefully we will know something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well since we got a foot of snow Monday....
    I am so glad I don't live in snow country anymore. I never did like shoveling snow.

Sorry about the postponement. Its always difficult to get mentally prepared for something like that and then have it cancelled at the last minute.