Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ghee

Okay, I have NEVER (and will NEVER) be a health freak! Please note, I am NOT judging anyone or telling anyone what to do. We are all different. BUT, since my WG is so bad that it caused a nasal perforation, I can no longer use ANYTHING with Saline/Salt! It BURNS even more! Anyway, on a (so not me) whim I came across this online, on some WG medical site; I forget where.

I bought this because I HAVE to find something I can use! So far, it does help, but it DOES take time and is not a cure! But at least it helps soothe the inside of my nose and reduces crusting and bleeding. It's 20 dollars and no shipping fee but it would last a LONG time! It's called "GHEE" Just put it INSIDE your nose. It's SAFE!

Amazon.com : PRIMALFAT Coconut Ghee 14.2 oz, Virgin & Certified Organic - Pure Indian Foods(R) Brand : Baking And Cooking Ghee : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm familiar with coconut oil, but not with ghee. How do you apply it? Swab it inside your nose or put it into a warm water rinse?
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Pete...

I just get a small spoon and put a little in a cup to heat a little in the microwave. Then I just put a Qtip in the cup to soak it with the GHEE butter and swab the inside of my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm familiar with coconut oil, but not with ghee. How do you apply it? Swab it inside your nose or put it into a warm water rinse?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coconut oil is antimicrobial and especially, antifungal properties.
    Interesting way to use it.
    Does baking soda burn?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put Vaseline up inside my nose , anything that keeps it moist I find helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ghee is very good for the nose.

Below is an old thread started by Phil and Sangye advised about Vaseline and Ghee

http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.c...rrigation.html
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Mishb & everyone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The coconut ghee looks and sounds like good stuff. Thanks for the old nostalgic link, Michelle, which clarifies (no pun intended) what ghee is, and warns against Vaseline in the nose. I've used something called Ayr, which is aloe vera based, recommended by my ENT, but I don't have a current tube to see what else is in it.

Spirit, I'm sorry you get the burning from nasal irrigation. I had a nasal perforation early on, resulting in saddle nose, and it has all progressed since then to where my entire septum has eroded away along with the thin bones that distinguish the sinuses from the nasal cavity. While that all sounds awful, my tissues are all well healed, I am not subject to infections, there is no current Wegs activity there, and I have never felt any pain with saline irrigation at any stage of this. Everyone is different. I'm wondering, when you rinse, do you use only salt or do you have some baking soda mixed in with it, as Blake mentioned, which will minimize the harshness that could cause pain. People either use the prepared packets or mix up their own, and the recommended proportions vary. The more baking soda, the milder, but the more salt, the more it will work on loosening the crusts, I've heard. My ENT's nurse recommended I think about one third or one fourth salt and the rest baking soda, and that seems to work for me. I just eyeball it each time I mix some up. There are plenty of threads on here about saline irrigation, should you want to do a search.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Anne,

I use the prepared packets (a package of 100 costs about US$10 at the local pharmacy). I also make sure that the distilled water I use is at least at room temperature. That way, I avoid the "ice cream" headache that goes with cold in the sinuses.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I agree with Anne,

I use the prepared packets (a package of 100 costs about US$10 at the local pharmacy). I also make sure that the distilled water I use is at least at room temperature. That way, I avoid the "ice cream" headache that goes with cold in the sinuses.
    Oh, Pete, i heat mine up in the microwave to a comfortable warm temperature, just being careful it isn't hot, which could burn the delicate tissues. Time in the zapper will vary according to its power, the temp of the water in the room, etc. Seems to me the warmer water helps to loosen things up.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast