Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Talk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

If you have ever been out to one of the darkest skies in the US in the middle of pine barrens you would know that you can see so much out here but especially onatreetop! Star watchers come here from all over. there is no light polution in our night sky. The kiitys would be scooped up by hawks or eagles in a matter of minutes if they where out before they are full grown. We were warned when we adopted them. Today Johnie, large red tailed hawk was circling over us while we were sleding. An awsome sight, his wing spand has to be more than 6 feet. They pick up large rabbits without any strugle at all. He was waiting for casulties.

Doug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by onatreetop View Post
    If you have ever been out to one of the darkest skies in the US in the middle of pine barrens you would know that you can see so much out here but especially onatreetop! Star watchers come here from all over. there is no light polution in our night sky. The kiitys would be scooped up by hawks or eagles in a matter of minutes if they where out before they are full grown. We were warned when we adopted them. Today Johnie, large red tailed hawk was circling over us while we were sleding. An awsome sight, his wing spand has to be more than 6 feet. They pick up large rabbits without any strugle at all. He was waiting for casulties.

One thing most people don't realize is New Jersey is much more than Newark and tank farms. I loved it when I was stationed there for training to become an army motion picture photographer. It IS a beautiful state, the farther south you go, each mile prettier than the next!

I note that the central part of Nebraska is so unpopulated that it, too, is a destination for amateur and professional astronomers looking for unpolluted night skies. To see the vastness of the Milky Way is humbling and awe-inspiring!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss the night sky of northern Arizona. Flagstaff has an observatory, so they have strict city laws about maintaining dark skies. I've never seen so many stars. So wide open. I can't think about it-- makes me too sad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One good thing about living away from a big city is the light pollution free sky. Sitting in a hot tub we are humbled by the nightly constallation show. In August the meteor showers are amazing. Star gazing should be a must for all primary grade kids, yet those in the cities may never see how wonderful our universe is.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

I completly agree. One of our favorite things to do is sit outside late at night around a fire and just open our eyes. You cant count the stars but you can look at them everynight and still be amazed. Whether its snowing and cold or warm and summer simplily amazing. The cold winter sky is so bright!!!! You can walk out side with out a flashlight. What a great place to be a kid with pets and a yard!! on 3 acres of forest and wildlife. My idea of perfect. I hope that this place is a good memory for my kids like Lake Tahoe was for me. I cant imagine lives in a neightborhood on a street where the houses are so close together you can see everything going on the windows of your neightbors house!! That was Ocean City. It was okay before kids but after our first we moved out of our stone yard and paved roads and found here. Open space for imagination and nature. The kitties seem to love it Too!!!! We try the callors and leashes in the morning. The kids cant wait but I told them they arent dogs so dont expect much.
    Merry! Merry! Everyone!!!!!!!!!! My jobs are done! Darn I make good cookies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Send some of those cookie over here. Elephants eat a bunch.

Doug Guest

Attachment 133
    Hee! Hee! Wide angle shot!
    Attachment 134
    Louie takes on all comers
    (Ninja kitty! Heeyah!)

Inserting photos is much easier. That's good. And that's not so good. Ha!
    Last edited by Doug; 01-02-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gosh he looks like a lion in that wide angle shot, you have been keeping secrets Doug, LOL
    Jolanta

Doug Guest

He does look more like a lion in that shot!, Jolanta! (A lioness at that.) He was getting snoopy the day I took it, and stuck his mug right into the camera. The Ninja kittie picture is rotated 90 degrees, and is a blurred shot of Louie cleaning himself.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast