Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New member

Hello everyone! I'm struggling to figure out how this forum works so I'm going to try this avenue and see if I reach you. Seriously, you'd think I was 105 years old with this technology but alas, I am only 50.

My journey with Wegener's began in the summer of 2006 while volunteering at a medical mission in Haiti. I was such textbook Wegener's, as far as symptoms, and yet I fought sinus and ear infections for a year after my return to the states. I lost my hearing and all sense of smell and taste. I had very bad 'asthma', couldn't eat and struggled to get to the bathroom. I just kept getting sicker and sicker, but none of the dozen drs I saw could put the pieces together. In June, after an entire year of being sick, my ENT had to perform an emergency mastoidectomy, followed by the other ear a month later. I was honestly mostly dead. I hadn't been out of bed, except for my husband bathing me and taking me to another dr, for months. You'd think I lived in the middle of nowhere, but I was in Los Angeles! Finally, on Saturday, August 11th, 2007 I awoke with chest pains. By the end of the day I was in ICU, on a ventilator , dialysis, and undergoing a platelet pheresis. My platelet count was over 2 million. Two...million! The dr told my husband to go home and prepare our kids because it would take a miracle for me to live through the weekend. Our kids were 16, 12, 10, and 6.

Well, we got our miracle 'cause I'm still here to tell my story. I've had a couple of big relapses and just getting into another so finding this group is timely for me. Like most of you I've tried the whole range of meds, but Rituxan seems to work best for me. My dr is VERY hesitant to give me more Prednisone because 4 years ago I developed AVN, or avascular necrosis, in my hips and I've had both hips replaced. Ummm, yuck.

I am so excited to walk this path with you all beside me. I've already had a warm welcome from one member that brought tears to my eyes as I've walked alone, and afraid, for so long. I hope I can offer hope and encouragement along the way, as well. I am not nearly as educated in all things 'Wegener's' as many of you but look forward to tapping into your wealth of knowledge. So, is there a limit to how many words I can use to introduce myself? I hope not because I have surely exceeded them!

It's nice to meet you all, my fellow Weggies. (haha, I've never used that term before)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Lisa,glad you found our "sick little family" but it seems to be growing everyday,unfortunately. You sure have been on a journey...I can't imagine a platelet count so high.Glad you are here to tell us about it and now you don't have to be alone or afraid anymore. This forum is open 24-7 since there are people from all over the world on here at some point. So anytime you need someone to talk too...we are here.Its sounds like you have a good dr. now and things are pretty much under control. What other meds are you taking. I am in remisson right now..I go (like everyone else ) month to month with the blood and urine tests to see.I have to go next week so will see then. But I can't tolerate any drugs so the only thing I am on now is 5 mg of pred.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Lisamac and welcome to the best forum around.

I'm sorry that you had reason to find it, but just know that you are no longer alone.

There is no limit to the amount of words you can say, and in your writings I can feel that you have an easy going nature.

You have certainly been through the wringer and I'm glad you made it through to tell your story

Very glad to meet you to, fellow Weggie
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys! The only meds I take right now are Klonapin for involuntary twitches and PRN pain meds. I've been flying solo except for Rituxan ever year to year and a half. Iam monitored constantly and seem to be holding my own. I've had 17 grams of Cytoxin and hope to never go down that road again. I eat super healthy foods, or as my daughter says as she unloads the groceries, 'damn hippie food!' I do yoga when my joints allow and try to stay happy and stress free. Fortunately I live only a couple of miles from the beach and have frequent Pacific therapy sessions.

Thanks for the hug!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gosh Lisa,you sound like me..I have changed my eating habits and have a fruit or veggie smoothie everyday and my family thinks I am nuts. I also do yoga and just got a dvd on Tai Chi that I am going to start plus I just started going to the gym a few times a week. But the ocean is my passion,unfortunately in Ohio there is none. So I make yearly trips to Fl. (which I am looking into going for the month of May ) and maybe checking out a sublet or something because these Ohio winters are killing me.Oh I am also on Klonopin but that is for anxiety. You would think the drs would have you on something else besides rtx,that is usally just used as a hard hitter or some take it for maintence.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to hear your story, Lisa, though I'm sorry you have gone through such a rough time with it. I also had a delayed diagnosis, with a couple years of sinus and ear infections, and that is not uncommon. You have had WG longer than a lot of us, though not as long as some... it's hard to imagine the loneliness you must have felt before discovering this forum. And most have us haven't reached a point of being told we weren't expected to live; thank goodness you did, and that you have a supportive husband and family to live for. If we seem knowledgeable on here, it is because of the forum's existence and what we have learned from each other. There is a definite limit to what most of us learn from doctors or other internet sites. I'm sure we have some things to learn from you, too. And some of us belong to some Facebook groups or are just Facebook friends and share lots of stuff that's not Wegs related. So if you are on Facebook, let us know, and we will include you in our circle there. I'm glad you joined us here!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. Debra I am allergic to Bactrim-type drugs and Methotrexate. Imuran and Cellcept didn't help me at all. Because of years on Prednisone I developed avascular necrosis and had to have both of my hips replaced.

After my original heart attack, kidney failure, life...failure, I started this body 'twitch'. Even after brain scans they can't figure out why my body does it. My Dr started me on just .5 of Klonopin every am and pm and the twitching stopped. Maybe that's why I don't suffer from depression or anxiety. ~bonus~ I like a good twofer!

As long as I stay stable, and he checks me often, my dr let's me go with just that. Sometimes, I think, less is more, as long as my body is stable. I believe stress and environmental issues play a big role in my well being. I try to maintain an even flow through life, that seems to help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to join a fb group, btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Lisa,

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you've finally gotten to a spot of understanding. Hope the flare dies down quickly.

My wife and I are also beginning to eat "like hippies". We've both lost weight. We both feel better. We also get some good exercise at the local YMCA each week. I feel as well as I did before Wegs hit -- I'm very fortunate.

Beach therapy is a good thing. Glad you can get plenty of it. Our next "treatment" is set for June. Can't wait!!

Take care and keep us posted!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Pete, enjoy your beach therapy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast