User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of going out of country?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thinking of going out of country?

I have been offered a free cruise for 5 days along the coast of Mexico. Being immune suppressed I am not sure if I should go or not..Doctors said not to but didn't give me any good reasons. Just wondered what everyone here thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with your doc. Cruise ships (IMHO) are floating Petri dishes with questionable docs aboard. Although many cruise lines practice strong sanitation, there seems to be frequent outbreaks of norovirus. This wouldn't be fun for someone whose health is"normal". Could be dicey for a Weggie.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not go.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with questionable docs aboard
    Totally, disagree with that, Pete. One of the best doctors I have ever had the pleasure of meeting on a professional basis was the one on our 10-day cruise in Tahiti.

On the third day of the cruise, I went into an adrenal crisis (for unknown reasons). I always carry injectable drugs with me just in case of that event and we used them. The doctor was fabulous! She injected me with a bunch of my solucortef, started rehydrating me and made, what I consider the proper decision, to air-evac me to the hospital in Tahiti. I was going in out of conciousness, but she stayed with me right up until the airplane left for Papaetee and then she made numerous calls to follow-up while I was in the hospital. Once the adrenal crisis was over, I flew back and caught the ship at another island and continued our cruise. The cruise doctor is the 2nd best I have ever known -- my current endo still holds first place. I wouldn't have received any better care in any other place in the world.

As far as going on a cruise. Yes, I (that is me, not you) would and do, but not to Mexico. The issue is the availability of good western medicine. You need to pick your trips carefully and be mindful of what could potentially happen and be prepared. That having been said, only you and your doctor can answer the question you are asking. Don't take the advise of anyone here -- do what your doc suggests.

As an aside, I have never let the "immune suppressed" part of my disease get in the way of living. Short of having all my shots up to speed (required by most countries), I don't do anything special; no mask, no gloves, no hand sanitizers, etc, etc. I do try to avoid nursing homes, hospitals, schools, and now disneyland, but everything else is fair game. Last year I went on a cruise to Alaska with a flight back to the US through Canada and I made two trips to the UK and Ireland, one in the spring and one in the fall. And, then the Tahiti trip.

Its hard to say why I went into an adrenal crisis while in the south pacific, but it certainly wasn't an immune suppression issues. Current theory is stress and dehydration, but we'll never know. You can look up adrenal crisis -- not fun and quite serious.

BTW, the reason you always have to taper off of prednisone is so you don't go into an adrenal crisis. When on pred, your adrenal gland tends to quit making cortisol because the body has a good supply from the pred. Pred (and the other steroids like hydrocortisone or dex) is a cortisol substitute and needs to be tapered off slowly so the adrenal gland will wake up and start doing its job. I have an adrenal gland, but it doesn't work anymore because my pituitary was removed. The pit controls the endocrine system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know many people with WG that have gone on cruises.

5 days isn't so bad. I personally wouldn't do it but only because I don't like the thought of being stuck on a ship for however many days.......and then there is the water

If everything is under control, your meds are working etc, then I think it would be okay to go
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would follow the advice of your doctor. Being immunosuppressed is not the only medical issue any of us deal with and only your doctor knows your entire medical status and history. Most of us see more than one doctor and if you ask the same question of all of them and they all give you the same answer its a good bet its the right one. How long it has been since your diagnosis may also be another factor. The first year after diagnosis seems to be a time when you are less medically stable, lots of medication changes and adjustments, sometimes complications. I don't know how long it has been since your diagnosis but your doctors may feel more comfortable after you have been in remission for awhile with no changes or problems. But again, your doctor would know you better than any of us. Maybe you could ask their reasons again and if its a possibility down the road.
    We must let go of the life we have planned so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
    Joseph Campbell

When sleeping women wake, mountains move.
    Chinese proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you decide to go be sure to get some good medical trip insurance that would cover an medical evacuation back to States if needed. Generally most stops of the cruise ship would be near an airport that could get you back to USA in a few hours.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you decide to go be sure to get some good medical trip insurance....
    That's good advice. I didn't get trip insurance because my health insurance coverage is worldwide. However, I have to take the bills and submit a claim. The total cost of the incident was about $20,000, so until such time that my insurance company processes the bill and cuts a check, I'm floating a large loan. Its already been nearly 2 months and I don't think I'll see any money in my hand for another couple months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it were up to me, I would go.BUT that is me and I don't always do the right things. Everyone gave you good advice so the choice is yours but like vdub said you can't let wg run your life. And if you do go to Mexico ,DON'T drink the water or any ice cubes !!! That I know .
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I believe I am gonna go, thanks all for the advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast