Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how things have changed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    The 3 mile walk is around a lake, so the trail is perfectly level and paved. It will be hard, but I'm determined to do it this year. I will probably pay for it the next few days after the walk.
    Are you starting to get in shape for this? Do a little each day, and you should be able to do it comfortably.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being in the hospital is hard! Hope you're doing better!

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre42 View Post
    A few years ago I was in hospital recovering after two weeks in an induced coma due to wegeners, bleeding into my lungs, etc.

On regaining consciousness I was so weak I couldn't lift my arm to touch my face.

After two weeks of hard work I was able to zombie-shuffle myself out of hospital and back into some semblance of a normal life.

Last weekend I participated in a charity ride from midnight to dawn (with two thousand eight hundred and change other people).

Attachment 2104

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ride was 100% sweat powered foot-cycles.

There was even (at least) two penny-farthings (now there's enthusiasm for ya!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre42 View Post
    The Ride was 100% sweat powered foot-cycles.

There was even (at least) two penny-farthings (now there's enthusiasm for ya!)
    Glad to hear it! That makes it all the more impressive. BTW, had to google penny-farthings, but had guessed what they were correctly, in advance!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Glad to hear it! That makes it all the more impressive. BTW, had to google penny-farthings, but had guessed what they were correctly, in advance!
    I had to look it up too and now we are wiser and and better informed thanks to these posts.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I had to look it up too and now we are wiser and and better informed thanks to these posts.
    True. We learn a lot here about Wegs and other things, too. I must have heard the term "penny-farthing" as applied to a bicycle at some time in my life. I don't know how else I could have ever guessed it in advance. It did take a couple minutes, before googling. The forum keeps our minds sharp, too.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is very impressive Pierre,especially in the middle of the night, I couldn't get a good look at the map either, so how many miles did you do. And thats ALOT of byciclists ( I googled penny-farthing also !) I have seen them before but never knew what they were called, I thought that was just another Aussie expression !
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    That is very impressive Pierre,especially in the middle of the night, I couldn't get a good look at the map either, so how many miles did you do. And thats ALOT of byciclists ( I googled penny-farthing also !) I have seen them before but never knew what they were called, I thought that was just another Aussie expression !
    It might originally be an English expression. Maybe Pierre could tell us. I'm only guessing that it refers to the size difference between the two wheels, and that a penny and a farthing would be two different sizes. Is that right, or a wild guess? I don't think I've ever seen any English coins in my life, so really don't know and would have to google again to find out.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12