User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need help/advice: Dad sedated in the hospital on ventilator extremely agitated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sounds very similar to when my mother was in intensive care. She was initially sedated for two weeks and it took about 3 or 4 days for her to come round totally. She was very restless and wasn't herself which the doctors put down to the cocktail of drugs. This was her first episode in intensive care. However 4 years later she was sedated for 4 weeks and they did it differently by stopping the propofol each day just so she started to come around and then they put it back on. Apparently it makes it easier. When they eventually stopped it for good it was a much better experience for all of us than the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like he is getting the correct treatment for treatment for his vasculitis with the Cytoxan, prednisone, and plasma exchange and that he is responding positively to it. I'm sorry to hear about his delirum, agitation, and confusion. I don't know how old your father is but older people tend to have more difficulty metabolizing medications and it is not uncommon for an older person to react this way to sedation or anesthesia. It should improve with time and as they are able to taper/discontinue the sedation. It can be a slow process though. The hospital that specializes in this type of complex patient may be a good option for him. You said you are going to school four hours away and hearing a lot of information through your mother. Would it be possible for you to take a day or two off during the week to try and speak to his doctors, nurses, and social workers yourself firsthand? You may get more information and better answers to your questions especially when doctors are in patient's rooms doing their rounds. Weekends are not a good time to get information as the regular staff and doctors are not there. I'm sure this experience has been very upsetting for you and your family. I hope he show some improvement soon.
    We must let go of the life we have planned so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
    Joseph Campbell

When sleeping women wake, mountains move.
    Chinese proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Thinker on this. You don't give Dad's age but I had bad experiences with 2 older relatives who were hospitalized & had anesthesia. They both eventually returned to normal. Hopefully your Dad will be better soon as well. Prayers & Good Thoughts for you & your family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anesthesia usually contains a benzodiazepine which older folks can have adverse reactions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My father passed away yesterday morning. Somehow his kidneys started failing again and his lungs filled up with fluid. The doctors don't understand it because the day before they did an X-ray and there was no fluid and his kidneys were stabilized and improving. Thank you everyone for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for your loss, so sudden.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG..rosebud.I don't know what to say.. I am SOOOO Sorry to hear this about your Dad. I haven't been on here in the last couple of days and just read all the posts last night. I am sitting here crying with you because you never know what to expect...just when you think things are going good this disease will take over . My prayers are with you and your family and I hope that that you can find some peace knowing he is not suffering
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud1029 View Post
    My father passed away yesterday morning. Somehow his kidneys started failing again and his lungs filled up with fluid. The doctors don't understand it because the day before they did an X-ray and there was no fluid and his kidneys were stabilized and improving. Thank you everyone for your help.
    Oh no!
    I am so sorry and please send my sincere condolences to your family.
    It just doesn't make any sense when he seemed to be doing so well.
    I really don't understand how they could give him Ativan, a benzo which is notorious for causing respiratory suppression.
    Sleeping pills can kill, drug firm warns | Society | The Guardian

I wish you well and if you want support we are here for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am just reading your posts Rosebud and I am so sorry for your loss. This disease is so unpredictable and is so complicated. My thoughts will be with you and your loved ones thru this time of terrible shock and grief.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also just read these posts, Very sorry to hear of your loss.
    Dx'd December 2000

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast