User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I am going off this wicked stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I am going off this wicked stuff!

I know,i know. You guys are probably sick of hearing about prednisone. After reading the conclusion on that webinar, and always wondering myself why we just mask our symptoms with pred...i dont know. I have been suffering tremendously this round with side effects. Was on 40 mg for 3 weeks then down to 30 for 1 week. Went to 25 today. Think i will drop 5 each week til im off. The dr actually left the taper schedule up to me??? And my symptoms being treated left after 2 weeks. Does this sound too quick to u all? I have in the past done 10 mg every 2 weeks. My husband has noticed i seem confused at times..if that is because of pred that scares me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes the prednisone will cause dizziness, confusion and rashes.. Take your time coming off of it..5 each week sounds good that's not too fast but who would know better is your Pharmacist. They know all about us and our meds.. I pick their brains all the time.. Always be a close friend to your local one..
    good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might want to really slow down on the last 10. I came down from 10 to 3 at -1 per month and had no problems. Holding at 3 until my doc and I decide which variable moves next.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My rheumatologist had me taper by 5 mg every 2 weeks until I got to 10, then slowed it down to 1 mg every 2 weeks to give my adrenal glands a chance to kick back in. He did say I could taper slower if I wasn't comfortable with that. So far so good at 4mg. I'm currently also on 100 mg Imuran. Are you on any other immunosuppressant medication?
    We must let go of the life we have planned so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
    Joseph Campbell

When sleeping women wake, mountains move.
    Chinese proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mom was 40mg for almost 3 months.
    Then, the dr dropped it to 20mg, but 2 weeks later, (in the hospital because he screwed up and forgot to give her epogen) he dropped her down to 5mg. She had severe muscle cramps even when upping it to 10mg. I gradually tapered her down to 5mg for 4-5 months without any problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the times I have had to do a round of prednisone it is a slow taper.. but try to do as the doc says and be mindful if you start to flare after being off of it for a couple weeks. I have noticed I am more irritable about an hour after taking it at higher doses. Just be mindful of any symptoms that begin to appear .. I keep a medical journal because changes are so slight that I don't notice them right away but over time things make a better picture. Good luck! I wish you well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinker, yes i take 100mg of imuran daily and 12.5 of methatrexate weekly. I have been on pred prolly 10 times since my dx in 2001. I have never tapered with 1 mg pills. Always go by 10 until i get to 20mg and then go by 5 and quit at 5. But ive only done bery short rounds for flares (less than 3 months) because ive always been on my immuno-suppresents. In 14 years have not ever been off...not sure which trade off is better. Thats the way my doc dealt with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you have tapered before then you and your doctor know best how your body responds to it. It seems everyone is different. I can understand you wanting to get off it quickly since you have been on it so many times. Good luck with this round and I hope it keeps things calm.
    We must let go of the life we have planned so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
    Joseph Campbell

When sleeping women wake, mountains move.
    Chinese proverb