Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lost all patience

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    If there is something to help protect the bladder during CTX use, I wonder why it was not made available to those of us taking oral CTX? I haven't heard it mentioned on here before. Is there a reason, such as delivery method or other, that it would only be useful for those getting infusions of CTX?
    I have only seen it used once someone gets cystitis, but haven't seen it as a prophylaxis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My doctor did prescribe Mesna to protect my bladder while I was taking oral Cytoxan, the copay was $5,000, no joke! Needless to say, I drank alot of water instead.
    We must let go of the life we have planned so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
    Joseph Campbell

When sleeping women wake, mountains move.
    Chinese proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
    My doctor did prescribe Mesna to protect my bladder while I was taking oral Cytoxan, the copay was $5,000, no joke! Needless to say, I drank alot of water instead.
    Ouch!
    Do u live in the USA?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sheesh! No wonder I wasn't prescribed it. I drank lots of water!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrtmeo View Post
    It is marketed by Baxter as Uromitexan and Mesnex?
    Ok, I think it was Uromitexan.

Holy moly! I'll never understand the weirdness of the US health care pricing... Looking at the price list it seems to cost 15-25 euros / tablet but I suppose the hospitals get them cheaper as they wouldnt buy just 20 tablets... Not that I'll ever know since the hospital day + ctx IV + mesna cost around 30 euros per time.

I took 1/2 tablet around the time of the IV, 1/2 tablet was it 2 hours after the IV and then 1/2 tablet later at home. They had exact times when I needed to take them, but don't really remmeber anymore.
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I do live in the U.S. We have an HMO for health insurance, overall it's been good insurance. I did get Mesna in the hospital when I first started the oral Cytoxan. I guess it was covered as an inpatient as I only had one set copay for the whole hospital admission. It was a very bad tasting liquid that came in a little vial. I'm not sure why the copay was so huge. It must be an expensive drug. I didn't try fight it as I felt so sick at the time and from what I researched on here most people did not mention taking it, just that they drank lots of water. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else in the U.S. got an outpatient prescription for it and what their copay was.
    We must let go of the life we have planned so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
    Joseph Campbell

When sleeping women wake, mountains move.
    Chinese proverb

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234