User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Diagnosed with Antibiotic Allergy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Diagnosed with Antibiotic Allergy?

If you have been told you are allergic to an antibiotic, make sure you really are. Just thought I would share my experience in case it helps anyone. I was prescribed Bactrim a year or so ago. On the last day or two on the drug, I had a strong allergic reaction....a red, stinging rash pretty much from head to toe. It was diagnosed as an allergy to Bactrim.

Then one day I had a sore throat and took a cherry flavored throat lozenge to soothe it. Bang! The same exact reaction. It was the red dye #40 that did it. Since then, I have had one other allergic reaction. I ate a piece of ghiardelli chocolate peppermint this Christmas. Chocolate on the bottom and white chocolate on the top, scattered with tiny red peppermint candy pieces. Duh! Stupid me. But I'd eaten it during past Christmas seasons...so didn't even think of it. I eat a fairly plain diet with almost no processed food. I think I react more quickly now to chemicals in my food. Each time I have encountered the red dye has ended up with a quicker and more intense reaction.

Just thought you should know. There are several antibiotics that contain this dye. I am afraid that people will be told they are allergic to an important anti-biotic, when they are really allergic to the colors that are sometimes put in the drugs. Be careful of yellow dye # 5 as well. That color additive has been a known trigger for asthma for decades. I used to get a mild rash and wheezing many years ago...before I had asthma. Because I am married to a lifelong asthmatic, I knew about yellow dye. When I stopped taking an OTC ALLERGY medicine, the reactions disappeared. Can you imagine putting a known asthma trigger in an allergy medicine? I can't remember what the drug was. But I DO know that Benadryl contains red dye. So...be cautious. They DO make a dye- free version, and dye-free versions of anti-biotics are also available. Of course, you will have to pay a higher price for a product that SHOULD cost less because it contains 1 less ingredient!

The amount of chemicals that we ingest in a day is mind boggling. And it is so expensive to avoid it. Frustrating.
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent point.
    Thanks for posting it.