User Tag List

Likes Likes:  44
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Chronic sinus infections, bronchitis, and nasal rinses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I don't think by using the NeilMed rinse, as recommended by pretty much all our doctors if we have sinus involvement, that you are in the same category with those who will put anything up their nose without consulting a doctor first. That you happened to get some in your ear, and it caused an infection, is an unusual occurrence. You were following a doctor's orders when this happened, as you said.
    One of the advertising points for Grossan Hyro Pulse is that it can be regulated easier than the squeeze bottles and is a lot more gentle even at the highest settings than the squeeze bottles so it might be less likely to cause the problem of getting water into the Eustachian tubes. The directions on the squeeze bottle also advise not rinsing when nostrils are plugged since this is more likely to force water into the tubes. I have learned though how to barely squeeze the NeilMed bottles to get a very gentle force when my nasal passages feel plugged or partly plugged. It seems easier then to clear them by blowing after I get some water up the nose.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrtmeo View Post
    This is why iodine has been brought back as a treatment method against antibiotic resistant pathogens.
    Pathogens have not, to date, become resistant to the pathogens it kills.
    Iodine is not genetically engineered.
    Let us hope it never happens though since Betadine and iodine are usually used for surgical procedures to try avoid infections. But pathogenic bacteria seems at the top of evolutionary scale for any living organism and can evolve a new strain in a matter of a few hours. The fact they are so wide spread is proof of their amazing ability to evolve and adapt to apparently almost any environment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    Let us hope it never happens though since Betadine and iodine are usually used for surgical procedures to try avoid infections. But pathogenic bacteria seems at the top of evolutionary scale for any living organism and can evolve a new strain in a matter of a few hours. The fact they are so wide spread is proof of their amazing ability to evolve and adapt to apparently almost any environment.
    There is a reason for all of this antibiotic resistance.
    One theory is that the genetically engineering process in foods shoots a GMO (Genetically Engineered Organism), a gmo bacteria which is resistant to a large quantity of deadly antibiotics, a viral promoter that doesn't shut off and a foreign gene which expresses the trait they want in the seeds of a totally different species.

After shooting this stuff into the seed cells of the plant, they throw deadly antibiotics at the seeds.
    The seeds that die, didn't take the process and the ones that live did.

These gmo's are resistant to many deadly antibiotics and we eat this in foods because there is no labeling.
    The animals we eat are fed gmo's except for organic.
    Organic foods cannot contain gmo's.
    Animals we eat are also, injected with gmo antibiotics.

Put this all in our body's and we can make pathogens resistant to what ever antiobiotics were used in the gmo process.
    If you want an explaination on the gmo process, you watch the video here
    Last edited by mrtmeo; 03-01-2015 at 02:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    One of the advertising points for Grossan Hyro Pulse is that it can be regulated easier than the squeeze bottles and is a lot more gentle even at the highest settings than the squeeze bottles so it might be less likely to cause the problem of getting water into the Eustachian tubes. The directions on the squeeze bottle also advise not rinsing when nostrils are plugged since this is more likely to force water into the tubes. I have learned though how to barely squeeze the NeilMed bottles to get a very gentle force when my nasal passages feel plugged or partly plugged. It seems easier then to clear them by blowing after I get some water up the nose.
    There is a new product with a study proving its efficacy that might be available from the dr and covered by insurance that can get the water out of the inner tube and open up Eustachian tube dysfunction.
    It's called the Ear Popper.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZrl5cuarJQ

Ear-Clearing Device May Replace Surgery and Drugs in Draining Middle-Ear Fluid [NIDCD Inside]

Here is a device called the otovent which is under $20.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi6DdairDIo
    Last edited by mrtmeo; 03-01-2015 at 03:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi
    I have some disturbs this days,and i think that i have problems of sinuses.i have read on internet but i didnt found nothing helpful.Can someone told me which are the signs of this problem?
    Thank you

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to a new ENT and he told me to get Ponaris Nasal Emollient I put a couple of drops in each side of my nose at night. I put some in the morning if needed and I have never had anything help me through this mess like this. I was doing every thing you mentioned drz and it is exhausting was so sick of it! I can't tell you how much better my sinus is. I am always worried about reacting to new things so tried it a little at a time, no problem. I would ask your ENT if you should use it, read a lot of good reviews on the product. I ordered mine on Amazon as I use prime

Jakekell-Mary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by isi14 View Post
    Hi
    I have some disturbs this days,and i think that i have problems of sinuses.i have read on internet but i didnt found nothing helpful.Can someone told me which are the signs of this problem?
    Thank you

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
    Isi, it's a little hard to distinguish the sinus problems of Wegs from the general problems that a lot of the population has in that area from allergies, deviated septums, etc. With Wegs, there is extra inflammation and granulomas, which further impede and obstruct the natural flow of mucus. More will get trapped in the sinuses, where it can cause blockages and infections. The granulomas are masses of affected blood cells which can no longer pass enough oxygen to the different areas, so tissue death and erosion of sinus bones and the nasal septum can occur. Symptoms are typically a lot of crusting and greenish mucus or large clumps of mucus that eventually work their way out, and they may be tinged with blood. People may have headaches or facial pain from all the congestion, or a very full feeling in the ears, with possible pain, ear infections, and hearing loss, from the eustachian tubes becoming inflamed and no longer allowing efficient drainage of fluid from the ears. It is all related to sinus involvement with Wegs, though people's symptoms may vary. Using some form of nasal irrigation such as the NeilMed squeeze bottle system will help a lot, as well as taking hot showers and inhaling steam from a bowl of water. There is probably a lot in the archives on sinus symptoms with Wegs, which you can find by using the search box above.

BTW, anyone can correct me in my description of granulomas and the affected blood cells, or anything else, as some of it is still pretty mysterious to me.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We Weggies some times become reluctant to post good news some times cause it seems to often result in the Weg dog waking up and attacking with a vengeance to let us know it is still around. But maybe I can sneak this one by.

Early this year I had flu which I thought was bronchitis since I was coughing to point of being very exhausted. I also had sinus infections as evidenced by gunk in sinus rinses. My inflammation markers increased to abnormal and I had lots of blood clots and fresh blood in my sinus rinses. I got antibiotics twice and Tamiflu for the flu symptoms. The meds seemed to help some but I was rinsing several times a day to try keep nasal passages open enough to breathe OK and often added baby shampoo and dash of peroxide into the rinses along with using two or three times normal saline packets. I used the squeeze bottle at first but then later started using my Grossan HydroPulse more. I finally saw an ENT who prescribed some Bactroban (Mupirocin) antibiotic solution to use as a rinse too but they took so long to mail it to me than my sinuses and nasal rinse seemed cleared up by time it arrived so it was never used.

I think it was the frequent rinses and the reduction in my inflammation markers back to normal range that accounted for return to clear nasal rinses. I am back to rinsing only a couple times a day most days and have no blood or trophy buggers in my rinses lately.The nasal passages seem open and breathing is easy again.

I did use some extra Fluticasone nasal spray at times but other wise no changes were made to my maintenance meds of 5 mg pred and 175 mg of azathioprine. When my inflammation markers were elevated it felt like a flare to me since joint pain and fatigue also increased. I made arangements to see my Weg expert at Mayo because of concern of maybe having a the start of a serious flare but by the time I saw him things seemed back in a drug induced remission except my ANCA scores had increased from negative to borderline range. The hope is they will return to negative range and these will be checked at my quarterly reviews with my treating doctor or sooner if Weg symptoms increase again. The hope is to remain in a drug induced remission again for a long time but the Weg symptoms have increased each winter along with infections that seem to come some time between Thanksgiving and Valentine Day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds great drz. What a story. It really illustrates the delicate balance that we live with and the shifting sands of our understanding.
    I talked on the phone for quite a while to the doc that is doing the sinus study I am in. I actually wanted out of the study because I was basically stuck in the control group. Like I told the doc , that may not seem like a big deal that somebody has sinus trouble but for a wg patient it could be what triggers my next flare. Its not just sinus trouble to me.

The doc then made a compelling point that we really don't know the effect of these simple treatments vs the fancier ones (like the Mupirocin) .

I agreed that I would stay in the control group but I would bail on the very day that I thought something else might be more appropriate. I'm not staying sick so they can study it. I've been the guinea pig my fair share of times.
    In one case I spent 17 thousand dollars of my own money on a treatment that was later proven to be totally ineffective for wg.

So, I'm glad you are on the upswing drz, so am I. In fact , it looks as though I will make it through their study without changing any of my treatment. I go for my final evaluation visit next week . The study will be over and we shall see what they find out in their comparison of different sinus treatments. They are comparing plain saline rinse (which is what I am doing and for the purposes of a wg patient this is the control group) , mupirocin, and finally iodine like Blake was talking about. I asked about peroxide. She said they might consider that in a future study.

I asked about baby shampoo. She said only if you have a baby. Ok, she didn't say that and I didn't ask- I still think its funny. Happy Easter everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am now just using the regular strength saline solution with rinses two times a day. It is actually the best my sinuses have been in five years.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast