User Tag List

Likes Likes:  44
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Chronic sinus infections, bronchitis, and nasal rinses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drz and Kirk, I'm glad you are BOTH on the upswing. Drz, I also have an increase in WG symptoms in between Thanksgiving and Valentine's day. I think the colder weather and the stress factor are both involved. Even though it's not nearly as cold here as there. I've had mild to moderate flares which were helped by increasing meds but took some time. This year was a little better and I'm not calling it a flare, as my inflammation levels are pretty normal, but I've taken a little extra pred anyway, just in case. I got a few flu-like or cold-like symptoms; I don't know if anyone gets mild cases of the flu. Whatever it was, it took some time to go away. Otherwise, I've avoided any infections of any seriousness, nothing like your bronchitis. I used to have a lot of bronchitis as a kid. Kirk, that's an interesting study you are in and I'll be interested to hear the results for the things you aren't using, like iodine and mupirocin. It's great you are getting better with just your regular routine.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anne,

I think your so right about the cold. When we retired I found myself not going out as it was so cold my sinus couldn't stand it never felt good. We bought a place in Naples and spend from Dec to mid-May here now. We went back to early last year and my sinus didn't like it at all.

Mary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First I am not on this board much lately and I have not read all of this thread so if this has been stated already then I apologize. My wegs is in remission, it started somewhere I think around 4 or 5 years ago with what I thought at the time was adult on-set of allergies. A little over two years ago it took a quick turn to my kidneys and reduced them to 15%. I am on a kidney transplant list now and doing peritineal dialysis and getting along very well. I still get sinus problems and from what I have been able to figure out they are all infection related. What I found is that a good dose of Bactrim for 7 to 10 days takes care of it. WIthout that I am left with a constant infection. When I was on a constant low dosage of bactrim (also immune suppressants) I never had a sinus infection. I recently had a sinus infection that lasted six weeks and finally went away once I was started on bactrim.

Now as a general rule I do nasal flushes as needed. I tried netti-pot, I tried the squeeze bottle but I did not like either of them. What I settled on and what I really like is the saline solution nasal spray in a can. It is gentle and easy to use. It is a lot less messy then I found the other rinses to be and if done correctly very effective. I use it to loosen things up and then I gently blow out the "stuff". It takes several sprays and blows to get it all out and over time I have learned an effective strategy and I have also learned when it is all out and when there is still some in there. It is most effective if I use it at the end of a long hot shower since that process loosens things up from the steam.

One strategy I will mention is to spray and hold it for a while, pulling into the sinuses. Blow lightly but then wait - go lay down or do something else. Over a little time that wetness will work in favor for you and suddenly things will want to come out.

Anyway I don't think my nasal problems are still wegs problems directly but I do think wegs had a big influence on them. I thing wegs potentially was influenced by my sinus issues and I have heard one theory for wegs is a result of an over active immune system in response to allergies. who knows, all I know is if I effectively manage my sinus infections life is a lot better for me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good post, Randy! Good info... Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Il_Randyb View Post
    Anyway I don't think my nasal problems are still wegs problems directly but I do think wegs had a big influence on them. I thing wegs potentially was influenced by my sinus issues and I have heard one theory for wegs is a result of an over active immune system in response to allergies. who knows, all I know is if I effectively manage my sinus infections life is a lot better for me!
    I enjoyed your post and am interested in this theory of allergies, which are of course an immune system malfunction or over-reaction, being part of the puzzle of who gets Wegs, for some people, anyway.... It makes sense to me. I was the one in my family with the most allergy problems and I'm the one who ended up getting Wegs!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I enjoyed your post and am interested in this theory of allergies, which are of course an immune system malfunction or over-reaction, being part of the puzzle of who gets Wegs, for some people, anyway.... It makes sense to me. I was the one in my family with the most allergy problems and I'm the one who ended up getting Wegs!

I have also heard that and as with you I was the one in the family with the allergy issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cannot remember where I had heard about the possible link to allergies but I do read frequently that wegs is thought to be triggered by an "initial inflammation causing event" which of sounds like it could be allergies or an infection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Il_Randyb View Post
    I cannot remember where I had heard about the possible link to allergies but I do read frequently that wegs is thought to be triggered by an "initial inflammation causing event" which of sounds like it could be allergies or an infection.
    Sounds reasonable to me, and sort of obvious, in a way. If they could control allergies better early on, with shots or whatever, maybe it could help prevent some people from getting Wegs. I did not get good treatment for allergies as a child and didn't get the shots until I was an adult and already had Wegs, though no one knew it.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I have noticed when doing nasal rinses with my Grossan Hydro Pulse is that if I move my head around, tilting it up and down and sideways, i can feel the different sinus cavities filling with water so i make sure all six get filled and rinsed. I can't do that with my squeeze bottle. I used the Hydro Pulse most mornings and the squeeze bottle in evening or during the day if i need a quick rinse. It took a lot of rinses for a few months but they now seem generally clean and the rinses are pretty clear lately. Some mild crusting in morning but very little blood or trophy boogers or congestion. There is still excess mucus running down the back of my throat at times which causes some symptoms like coughing or sore throat but it is much less than five months ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    One thing I have noticed when doing nasal rinses with my Grossan Hydro Pulse is that if I move my head around, tilting it up and down and sideways, i can feel the different sinus cavities filling with water so i make sure all six get filled and rinsed.
    I do the same, but put my rinser (Waterpik) on a lower setting, close off one nostril and gently fill the sinuses. I then blow hard or gently, depending on how I'm doing at he moment.
    I started doing this with an antibiotic rinse, and let the rinse sit in there a while before letting it out. I can feel when the water starts to tickle the back of my throat now, and it's really nothing to do now that I've done it a LOT.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast