Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Neck pain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Neck pain

I just started on 5 mg of pred, weening down from 40mg (also on 100 mg of cytoxan) and I have the lovely fat pockets around my neck. My problem is the hump at the back of the neck that is causing me a lot of pain. Has anyone else experienced this? Had to stop cutting vegges because it hurt too much to hold my head down. The pain is all in my shoulders and neck. The swelling has gone down a bit but the pain is getting worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if it might be what they call buffalo hump, which is a symptom of addison's disease, but can be caused by high steroids and osteoporosis.
    Hump Behind the Shoulders: Causes, Diagnosis & Treatments

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if you'd get relief from a chiropractic manipulation.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's possible you hit the 'bottom' of your pred dose at this time. If it is roaming, say tomorrow, then it is not enough pred. Many of us have gone thru that...symptoms reappear for a short time until pred goes back up usually. Otherwise, better get a doc to look at it. Best to you.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had steroid myopathy--muscle weakness caused by the prednisone. One the many areas it affected was the muscles at the back of my neck. It made it hard to hold my head at certain angles without causing fatigue and pain. I wonder if that's what may be causing your pain rather than the fat pocket itself? There are simple in-office tests to gauge muscle strength. The neck one involved me trying to keep my chin on my chest while the doctor gently pushed my forehead back--something you could even maybe try at home.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone on the posts. Will have to look further into steroid myopathy as it sounds the same. Will try the test when my hubby gets home.