User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The Virus that stoled Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Virus that stoled Christmas!

I just want to start by saying that I hope that everybody is staying clear of sick people. I had planned to have my large extended family for Christmas, as I have for many years now, with the exception of last year due to a flare. I had set it up for 12/27 not to interrupt others plans and had much help from my family getting things ready for the big occasion. My first clue that things were headed downhill was Christmas Eve when my husband started violently vomiting and losing other bodily fluids. I tried to take care of him and he recovered by the time it hit me on 12/26. I had my flue shot, but this stuff is different. I violently vomited/lost other fluids for over 14 hours and didn't know if I could even get to the ER, I was that sick. I had lost so much fluid that my muscles were drawing and having spasms, nasty. When I was finally able to get fluids to stay in, I took some potassium and drank Gatorade,7up and water to get my electrolytes back up.I just am starting to eat a little more normal. I no doubt had to cancel Christmas again this year, maybe next year. Hoping that you guys protect yourselves the best you can against this because it is not pleasant and could potentially be very dangerous to us Weggies.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jana,
    I am so sorry you had to go thru all that, but you did a great job at getting hydration.
    It is so important when people get the stomach flu to keep hydrated.
    Just remember that when people get vaccinated, they become carriers for 2 weeks and the vaccine lowers our immune system.

If we have family members living with us, it is almost impossible to keep from getting something.
    The best things we can do is keep our vitamin D levels in the optimum range of 60-80 ng/mL and take vitamin C.
    Along with eating good quality foods, we can keep from being sick too long, recovering quicker.

Keeping hydrated as soon as we can keep fluids down is the most important especially with kidney issues.

My mom was innoculated with a stomach virus when she got a colonoscopy, so it was harder to get rid of it.
    She threw up for 3 days and had diarrhea for 5 days.
    I had to bring her to the ER 2 times for fluids due to her kidney function.
    This happened a few weeks before her dx.

I sure hope things are getting better and you can celebrate the new year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jana,

Sorry to learn about your holiday upset. Hope you're feeling better.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Jana, sorry to hear about the unexpected Christmas gift. Glad you are doing a little better. I've never had it that bad, and it sounds like I don't want to either!

Hope you feel great soon!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jana, I feel so bad for you ( I'm sure not as bad as you did !! ) but to go through all that work and expectations to get so sick and ruin it. I am glad to hear you and hubby are feeling better, and hopefully you'll be able to enjoy New Years eve even if is just the 2 of you. I will probably be asleep before midnight !! Take care
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys for your caring words. Blake, your Mom has been thru so much and she is lucky to have you take care of her. I'm getting better, but still a little weak. I am so glad that my husband bounced back so quickly as he had to take care of me. I didn't mean to whine, some people are always sick like that, I was giving heads up to everyone about protecting yourselves from something that could be deadly to some.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG That was a terrible experience!!! i am so sorry but SO glad you got through it all... I fear of getting that nasty bug....Now for a happy and HEALTHY New Year!!! Susie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaha View Post
    Thanks guys for your caring words. Blake, your Mom has been thru so much and she is lucky to have you take care of her. I'm getting better, but still a little weak. I am so glad that my husband bounced back so quickly as he had to take care of me. I didn't mean to whine, some people are always sick like that, I was giving heads up to everyone about protecting yourselves from something that could be deadly to some.
    I didn't see it as whining! It was a very good heads up. I have read that the flu virus and the typical stomach virus are two different things. So the flu shot may not have protected you from that at all. Just what I've read, doesn't mean it is is always true. In any case, I'm glad you are better, and I really hope that next year you can host the Christmas of your dreams at your house! And have many good celebrations in the year between now and then.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaha View Post
    Hi Jana,
    When people with weg's are sick, it is not whining.
    Feeling ill all the time and adding a sickness that brings down the healthiest is horrible.
    I think it is important to let others know when sickness is going around, so that people remember how easy it is to catch things going around when immune suppressed.
    It is so hard to stay inside and be a recluse and we can't totally avoid people, so any warnings can help.
    Glad you posted.