Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going back to work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Going back to work!

What is some advice about going back to work? I work at a desk job, but it's very demanding and I'm worried the stress could cause a flare up, what would be your advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a back to work "as tolerated" letter from your doctor. That gives you the option of going home if you need to. Work up to full time over a matter of weeks, and see how your body is going to react and perform. SLOW, baby steps are the best course of action on your part.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds like a good plan!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gigi.palumboshatz View Post
    That sounds like a good plan!

Also: make a plan for stress management.

I meditate and do yoga now every day, and that really seems to help me stay in balance. Deep breathing and keeping things in perspective have helped me through work stress.

Good luck! and I hope you enjoy going back to work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At first diagnosis I was away from work for 3 months then did 3 months of half days before getting back to full time. Likewise I drive a desk but with a lot of pressure at times. Sometimes the hours are very long and there is travel involved (UK to US). I am sure some of my flares have been down to this as, even though you think you are on top of it, it can build up over time! When flaring I have had no time off, other than for RTX infusions.
    The good thing about working is that it can take your mind off the WG issues! It is all a question of balance - but I am not necessarily a good example!
    Diagnosed July 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with all the comments. I went back part time,4 hours a day and slowly worked up to a full day. The letter from the doctor is a very good idea. I don't know what your work environment is like but my fellow workers were all excellent and when things got hectic they would step in and help me out. Unfortunately, not all work places are like that. It gave me a real sense of progress and recovery to know I could handle the work again. I recommend trying anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope they are, I'm nervous! I went out today and just walking is still very hard, but if I don't go back I'll lose my job, so this awful thing has basically ruined my life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found I had to reduce my hours at work due to fatigue and my work where very accommodating
    I say listen to your body & go with what works for u

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I support your decision to go back to work and agree with the others above that you should take it slow and listen to your body, and have a note from your doctor. I hope your employers are understanding enough to be flexible. If you were not ready, you will find out. I hope you don't lose your job, but if you do, you should be able to apply for SS disability as many of us have done; it can be difficult and is generally easier for those of middle age or older to get approved for benefits. But I can't see them denying someone who obviously has been trying to work and cannot; it may take an appeal with the help of a lawyer. Of course, best case scenario is that you are getting better all time, will be able to keep WG under control with meds, and will be able to ease back into the work routine successfully! I hope that is what will happen.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another reason to only go back part time to start is that you will be more successful getting SS disability if you have not been working full time, or at all, for something like 6 months. I don't remember all the details. I hope it will not come to that.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast