User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So stress really can cause flares???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default So stress really can cause flares???

Over the years i have often wonder what brings on my flares. They are so annoying. Seems like they just kinda smolder. This is my longest remission- 3 years. Since being dxed in 2001 they come every 12-18 months.
    I was raised in a very close knit family. I have 6 brothers and 1 sister. Several of them have very emotionally stressful family situations. I tend to get very pulled into them and it REALLY stresses me out....and so im just wondering. Im not sure what the answer would be as we all live within 30 miles of each other. Lol Im sure all of you have stress in your life...maybe i just dont know how to handle it. What are your thots?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by im so blessed View Post
    Over the years i have often wonder what brings on my flares. They are so annoying. Seems like they just kinda smolder. This is my longest remission- 3 years. Since being dxed in 2001 they come every 12-18 months.
    I was raised in a very close knit family. I have 6 brothers and 1 sister. Several of them have very emotionally stressful family situations. I tend to get very pulled into them and it REALLY stresses me out....and so im just wondering. Im not sure what the answer would be as we all live within 30 miles of each other. Lol Im sure all of you have stress in your life...maybe i just dont know how to handle it. What are your thots?
    I have no doubt that stress causes flares. It is one of those things that people tend to doubt, because "everyone has stress". But observing my own situation from day to day, and when symptoms worsen or settle down, it is definitely an observable phenomenon. I hope others can agree with me on this.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stress does cause flares...I'm pretty sure that's what initiated my first flare. My inability to mourn my mother's death over a period of time along with some other influential causes is what set me off. I don't recommend WG for getting over emotional trauma, but WG does thrive on it. I also take Lexapro (very good and effective for panic/anxiety) and it doesn't interfere with my life and I get along fine. Best to you.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had fairly minor but not insignificant flares the last two winters. The holidays are a stressful time for me, and January through March are not a piece of cake. Right now my inflammation level is "normal", the lowest it's been since dx, and I'm trying to keep on an even keel so things don't escalate again. Although I was sick for 2.5 years before dx, things escalated in the winter of 2011 when my dad was going downhill and it didn't look like he'd make it. He died a couple of weeks before my dx. I hadn't really thought of that connection until now.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My personal experience is yes. I went back to work two weeks after being dx'd and getting out of the hospital. It was like clockwork; every 6 mos. I would relapse. Finally, August of last year when the disease was coming back again, my Dr suggested that maybe I should stop working. Give myself a rest. It took two more Rituxan infusions, but I finally achieved a medicated remission last May. I also believe it was aided by not having the stress from my job. I hate that I had to stop working, but I certainly don't miss my managements BS. I'm much calmer and pleasant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stress causes an inflammatory response so absolutely! I just got some blood work back and I had a high amount of neutrophils in my white blood cell count which is an indicator of stress and inflammation somewhere but my CRP was just the high end of normal so I am OK there.
    Absolutely. Stress is Cancer's candy, why wouldn't it be a candy to Wegeners?
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no doubt that stress flares us. I can feel the changes shortly after a stressful situation. A year ago after having kids/grandkids/great-grandkids in stressful situations my husband and have a new saying "NOT MY CIRCUS NOT MY MONKEY!" We can't really fix other peoples problems of course we help at times, however we are no longer allowing ourselves to get sucked into others drama. My body can't handle it and even though my husband is very healthy his body doesn't need it. Our family is pretty average with the issues so can't image out the box stress I wouldn't make it lol!

Mary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, it doesn't take long for the effects of stress to start... a little blood in the nose, more mucus and coughing, watery eyes, red dots on forearm, that sort of thing. This can happen in a matter of hours and can also disappear pretty fast once the stress is relieved.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I have had it happen in as little as 15 mins after the stress especially my left eye begins to water. I find it just saps my energy as if I have all that much to begin with. My family has been great about not including me in the latest issues with kid since we talked to them about what the stress was doing to me. I am so glad I no longer have to deal with it at work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stress can cause cytokine storms which do much of the damage in diseases and injuries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast