User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So stress really can cause flares???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience with a stress episode, caused my sed rate to go from 20 to 67 within 2 days, after getting really agitated with my mother. My doc was really amazed at how elevated it got in that short period of time. It ended up throwing me into a flare. I now try really hard not to get that agitated about anything anymore, it's really hard to do. When I was working my sed rate was always elevated into the 40's and sometimes 50's. Stress is really bad for any chronic illness.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I've experienced, extreme stress causes my Wegs to flare. The most recent example that comes to mind is when my husband and I were buying our house. I was still on Mtx and Pred, and after one deal falling through, and us temporarily losing some down payment money that got tied up in an escrow account, I was stressed beyond belief. That was the first time in almost a year that my ANCA's started to rise again, and I felt terrible. My doc increased my pred by 5mg, and after our house buying experience was over, my blood work went back to normal and I continued to taper Pred and Mtx. So, the short answer to your question, yes, I definately think stress can trigger Wegs.
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pardon my stating the obvious, but I feel it needs to be spelled out.

Modern Science has shown that stress impacts your immune response in a variety of ways - none of which are good for you.

Anyone suffering from an autoimmune condition should do what they can to reduce their stress levels, because "more stress is bad, in a _probably_killing _you_ kind of way".

... My News is always good , for all values of good==well behaved ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we all become so conditioned to our situations that we don't always realize all the cause/effect issues. When something as drastic as WGs comes into our lives we start looking at some of the many thing we may have passed over before. Yes modern Science has shown us the impacts of stress and like many things in life everyone doesn't come to conclusions at one time. This is a learning process for most people, as life is a journey. WGs has given us a tough journey and we tend to learn more about our bodies all the time.

While you may be stating what seems obvious, however maybe not to everyone. Things in life dawn on us at different times so this site helps when we share our experiences. I have been aware for a long time that stress is bad, however it took awhile to admit the impact on me with this lovely disease.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe stress and unhappy work life has caused my current flare although I have to say I was extremely stressed last year too and remained in remission.
    2013 I moved my job, moved towns, had a car accident, planned a wedding, lost money, hated my job, stressed to the gills, family dramas, worrying about health and money and family, PLANNING A WEDDING! Looked for another job, moved back to my mums and started a new job. And I didn't flare!??

2014 has been another hectic year but its mainly been work that I've had issues, I was bitten by a child and had to have anti biotics/ HEP B booster, more attacks from children, stress at work, feeling isolated, being forced to see occupational health, stress stress stress, moved house, worried about my health, hubby's health, mum's health and my sister got diagnosed with Lupus this year.

I think overall last year was just as stressful but then I had the good mixed in.

When I flared this year I took the hint and have handed my notice in at work. I have a new job starting in the new year which isn't so full on but is a 20 mile commute.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that is a lot of stress and I am surprised your body held up through the first year then just couldn't handle anymore. What kind work do you do with kids? I have had over time learn to manage my stress, fix what I can then let the rest go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre42 View Post
    Pardon my stating the obvious, but I feel it needs to be spelled out.

Modern Science has shown that stress impacts your immune response in a variety of ways - none of which are good for you.

Anyone suffering from an autoimmune condition should do what they can to reduce their stress levels, because "more stress is bad, in a _probably_killing _you_ kind of way".

... My News is always good , for all values of good==well behaved ...
    Pierre42,
    You have a point. Any stress that can be eliminated from ones life is a step towards being healthier. However, life is just not that simple. Not all stressful situations are bad. The body can't always tell the difference between bad stress, from work or otherwise; and what I'll call "good stress" for lack of a better term, for say an upcoming event in ones life that is anxiously looked forward to.

I think the best we can all do is learn what is best for us and listen to our own bodies responses.
    Nicole

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12