User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: From undiagnosed to climbing Mt. Everest!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get emails from PETA, the animal rights group. I don't always agree with what they say but they have done a lot of good work. Yesterday I got this article about the Iditarod. The published studies are what got my attention-- pretty horrid findings.
    Help End the Suffering of Dogs Used in the Iditarod | PETA.org

Cindy, have you seen any evidence of this? Of course, the gastric erosions and lower respiratory system changes wouldn't be evident, but I wonder about the stuff that is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. I know about this. A few years ago someone high up in PETA went to the Iditarod and came back to report this is not happening. I have seen nothing but excellent loving care of the dogs. Mushers love their dogs. And gastic problem have all but been eliminated and dogs are "dropped" which means left at check points if they are having any issues. One of mine had leg cramps and I put him in my sled for the last 40 miles. And their are vets at every point continually checking the dogs. They also get pre and post race physicals. Everything is about dog care. Some times mushers will scratch because their dogs are not into the race. These dogs are amazing atheletes and treated as such. Plus we love them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is so terrible I just had to reply. The article is very slanted. I lived in Fairbanks for 3 years, watched many dog races and knew several mushers. They love their dogs and they will give up a race if the dogs aren't up for it. If you look at the scratch stats for this year's race you'll see that many mushers scratched the race. Reasons given included sick dogs, weather, or dogs that just weren't ready for the ordeal.

I'm sure you can find some isolated cases for cruelty, but you can find that almost anywhere. On the whole, the race dogs are loved and treated very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's great to hear they've worked to improve conditions. The comments posted after the article are interesting. Some locals agree that conditions aren't okay and others describe them as much improved. It's probably just like any other competition involving animals-- a mixed bag. I've been to dog shows and agility competitions where you could cut the tension between the dogs and their owners with a knife. There's a lot of money to be made in the event itself, much less from breeding the dogs who have championship records. People are flawed, unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    This is so terrible I just had to reply. The article is very slanted. I lived in Fairbanks for 3 years, watched many dog races and knew several mushers. They love their dogs and they will give up a race if the dogs aren't up for it. If you look at the scratch stats for this year's race you'll see that many mushers scratched the race. Reasons given included sick dogs, weather, or dogs that just weren't ready for the ordeal.

I'm sure you can find some isolated cases for cruelty, but you can find that almost anywhere. On the whole, the race dogs are loved and treated very well.
    If it were just an opinion piece or one based on observations I would agree with you. But it's hard to discount those study results. I hope those conditions have been addressed, as Cindy says.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for the studies. I have not looked at the number of dogs included as subjects and they are now dated. Like I said the GI issue has been resolved and new insight has lead to changes in how mushers run and how race officials organize and oversee races. As for behind the scenes, I have seen only good care. Like I said, mushers love their dogs. But there a not-so-nice people involved in all areas of life. As for as dogs not making the cut: of course not all dogs are long distance dogs. From what I have seen those dogs are given to recreational mushers. PETA needs to go to Alaska and see for themselves what actually goes on in today's dog racing. Again I have seen nothing but loving care of these dogs both before and during the races.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it is worth:

I also get materials from PETA regularly. Mostly, I agree with their intentions. But I will admit that their techniques often leave me alternately bewildered, offended, or disgusted. There is so much that relies on unproven or heavily slanted information, so the end results seems only about confrontation rather that solving problems.

Just my own observations....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long time, no post!

I have been busy getting my documentary film into production.

Here is the film trailer Racing for Life -- Indiegogo

Racing season is around the corner - love those dogs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You go girl!! Glad to see you back, and hope all is going well with your training~

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, Cindy! Your story, your journey, your incredible accomplishments leave me speechless! The video is beautifully written and the pictures and film clips are stupendous! So much talent and creativity!! I love your quote and would enjoy a dance in the rain any day of the week! Thanks so much for brightening my day! I hope you'll continue to keep us apprised of your adventures -- many of us want to live vacariously through you!

KB
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast