Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unhappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Unhappy

I am definitely in a bad spot with my doctors. Every time I am concerned about something they brush it off. Now, I know that I work too much, and I sleep good to try and make up for that. But, on that same token, I don't have an easy job. I don't have a job where I can just half ass it through the day.
    So ... when I feel absolutely horrific and miserable and awful and "something needs to be done" ... I contact them (which with Kaiser is easiest done by email) and then they are like "Oh come in for an appointment so I can check you out." So I try to make an appointment and am told by the appointment people in another freaking county altogether that they don't have any available appointments until Monday December 1st.

Yes. A week away.

When I cough, I feel like I am going to die. It felt like my lungs exploded and ripped the skin in my back. While I'm pretty certain that's just a cartilage issue ... it still hurts like HELL! I feel worse today than I have in a few days and wish I could have stayed home. But, I'd rather have a note from my doctor since I work with some pretty extreme mean girls who would talk **** ...but I can't get in to the doctor until next week.

I am feeling like I am at my wits end. I only contact the doctor when I KNOW something isn't right and to be brushed off like a piece of dirt ... like a hypochondriac ... like someone with no underlying medical issue.

Honestly, I feel like crying because I feel like I have no one on my side.

Every time I meet a new doctor or nurse and they find out what I do they always say "Oh that is a very hard job, I don't think I could do that." I look at them funny because ... these doctors acknowledge the difficulty of my job and yet ... act like nothing is wrong with me and I can just keep taking 35 deputies lives in my hands while feeling like I might keel over any minute.

Whatever.
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say that if you are certain something is really wrong or organ threatening, I would go to the ER.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes Nikki,why don't you go get an xray or a scan and at the same time you can have the er dr. write you a note for work. I know how you feel about being brushed off..I think it is in my records for everyone to see that I have anxiety and everything leads back to that. I hope you can find out what is wrong and feel better soon.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how you can get your health care system to become more responsive and act in a more responsible manner. Have you told any of them what you just posted and asked them how you can get quicker assessments. I often use the local walk in clinic to get a more prompt assessment when I have a concern that I want more assessment but don't feel it is an ER situation or some thing requiring a quick trip to my Weg doctors. Is that an option for you?

My Weg doctors have reassured me that if I have a serious flare they will see me ASAP which I find reassuring. But like you say many times we have symptoms that are unsettling but are uncertain as to how serious they are and just want some assessment and reassurance and/or treatment if appropriate.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikki,
    I am sorry that you are feeling so bad and can't seem to get cooperation from anywhere. I agree that maybe you can get into an ER or urgent care for quick service and that precious note for your employer. It is really a shame that you have to have additional stress when you are feeling bad. Do you have any advocates thru your HR dept. or insurance to help you get better or quicker care? I'm wishing you all the best to get some relief with health and work. Take care
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally know what you are talking about with the cough Nikki. Mine was the reason I was diagnosed. I coughed so hard, it felt like I could wet myself, throw up and dislocate my ribs and vertebra all a the same time. That kind of coughing needs to be looked at by SOMEONE!

I hate to hear stories like yours! I called last week and had a red spot showing up ion one of my shins, and my doc worked me in between patients--before another appointment at the same clinic. I was not even billed for the 30 second reassurance that nothing was seriously wrong. My ENT has me on the "if he calls, get him in" list. I've had to see him on occasion without an appointment and he works me in too. So there are better places. too bad you don't live in my area, I'd hook you up with a great team of docs.

Are there other doctors available in your area? I think if I was this sick and this frustrated, I would find another heathcare provider.
    Last edited by MikeG-2012; 11-26-2014 at 07:08 AM.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Nikki,

Hope you're feeling better today. I agree with Mike. You shouldn't have to put up with being blown off by docs.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike has hit the nail on the head. I cough so hard that sometimes I do wee a little. I cough til I see stars. I cough until I think I am going to hurl and have only forced myself to somehow stop because I have been at work unable to run to the bathroom.
    I have an appointment with a nurse practitioner tomorrow morning but I remember this NP as being clueless on Wegener's and feeling completely judged last time I saw her.
    We'll see what happens tomorrow.
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiNicole View Post
    Mike has hit the nail on the head. I cough so hard that sometimes I do wee a little. I cough til I see stars. I cough until I think I am going to hurl and have only forced myself to somehow stop because I have been at work unable to run to the bathroom.
    I have an appointment with a nurse practitioner tomorrow morning but I remember this NP as being clueless on Wegener's and feeling completely judged last time I saw her.
    We'll see what happens tomorrow.
    Maybe ask for a Rx cough syrup that will help with the coughing. That is what I finally ahd to do a year ago when I had a flare up and was coughing my guts up. Docs were afraid I was going to break blood vessels in my lungs, so they prescribed a cough syrup. It helped with the coughing and stopped it long enough to let me get some rest, as well as take 1/2 a dose periodically once I got to the office.

If the NP is clueless, tell her that there is more than enough information on the internet that she can read in 10 minutes and get a good overview of the disease. Better yet, print her a few pages before you go. (-8
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised that they cant see you for a whole week. Even if your usual doctor wasn't available there is surly someone in the office that can see you. reading stories like this on here makes me thankful when I was really sick my Rhumy would work me in between patients as soon as I could get to his clinic after calling when I had some major issues and there weren't any appointments open.

Maybe you can ask the person doing the scheduling if they can ask the doctor to work you in, if not I hope the NP can give you something until you do get into the doctors.
    Best of luck, and I hope you get to feeling better soon.
    Dx'd December 2000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast