Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bad Couple Weeks :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, a Weggie I know got osteonecrossis which I guess is linked to that drug, and I think prednisone and rheumatism was also listed as increasing the risk for that.. Someone told me there is another drug for the bones which is takes once a year as an IV, dunno if the possible side effects could be less for that. Then again I'd assume the benefits would be greater than the risks as they do seem to be prescribe a lot of that alendronate stuff. Still not being allowed to eat for 30 min after taking that, and it also got my stomach a bit upset so glad I'm off it. Luckily it only needed to be taken once per week, but I've taken it for over a year.
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wegetarian View Post
    Yeah, a Weggie I know got osteonecrossis which I guess is linked to that drug, and I think prednisone and rheumatism was also listed as increasing the risk for that.. Someone told me there is another drug for the bones which is takes once a year as an IV, dunno if the possible side effects could be less for that. Then again I'd assume the benefits would be greater than the risks as they do seem to be prescribe a lot of that alendronate stuff. Still not being allowed to eat for 30 min after taking that, and it also got my stomach a bit upset so glad I'm off it. Luckily it only needed to be taken once per week, but I've taken it for over a year.
    It never made sense to me that a drug that is supposed to help rebuild your bones would also carry a risk of hip fracture and other specific bone problems. Someone on here said Fosamax builds inferior bone, and that her density scans have improved a great deal just by doing a lot of regular walking. My doc mentioned the once-a-year alternative, not sure if he said it was infusion or injection, so might or might not have been the same as what you heard of. He said it had fewer, or not the same, risks or side effects as Fosamax, but i don't know how much he really knows. He said I shouldn't take Fosamax for more than 5 years, so I quit, having been on it a couple years before ever seeing him.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234