User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: First Flare after 6 years .....why???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default First Flare after 6 years .....why???

I'm just having my first flare after my initial diagnosis 6 years ago. I'm very emotional as at my last 6 month check I virtually told my rheumy that I didn't need him any more. I'm eating humble pie. Does anyone have their own theory why they have a relapse? I'm busy reflecting over it all .... I haven't been meditating as often, have been away for 3 months and so not eating my home grown veggies, the busy activity of getting back into the swing of it, seeing other things in my life more important than looking after myself etc etc etc. The comment I have had from friends is that I do too much. I am retired BUT love being busy and having things to look forward too therefore if there's nothing happening then I make it happen. It's strange how when you need it people say the right things, today there was an excellent story on the radio re a person who has Lupus how she has changed her life and it looks nothing like the life she lived when first diagnosed. She hasnt had any symptoms for 6 years. Then I've just read about grounding, and today an article at the hospital in a mag re alkalining your diet. I have some work to do!!!!!!
    Do other Weggies have a plan for when they first start to have a relapse. I didn't but decided that I would just go back on the same regime as my rheumy put me on when first diagnosed. That was OK. Pays to carry your drugs with you ... I had to "borrow" the Prednisole from a friend on our travels.
    I'm in Lakes Entrance Victoria, Australia if there's any local Weggies out there. I know of two others nearby -- so much for one in 30,000.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 years? That's pretty good compared to the norm. Most flare within 2-3 years, minor or major. Stats show that many flare within 10 years again. There are some who don't...I wouldn't walk around thinking I'm cured tho. Hang tough, you'll get thru this, then on to the next 6 years, maybe more! Hang on to your new normal and follow what's best for you. Best to you.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do you know you relapsed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Carol,

I'm sorry you are going through this again.

When did you last have bloods done? You probably should get to your GP and have some bloods done to see what is going on.
    Your GP can also put you back on the same meds as before, but it could be beneficial to make an appointment with your Rheumy (or a new one).

If you are on facebook, we would love for you to join the WG Aussie and NZ Group. You may be surprised how many weggies there are in Australia and especially in Victoria.

As Don says, hang in there.
    I know you can beat it again.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had gone over four years before going on low dose Prednisone. My Rheumy now wants to see me every three months with full blood panels. The fatigue continues but the pain is less. Waking up in the night again and experiencing muscle spasms and my hands get all screwed up. Not really happy right now but we have to deal with what we are handed. Trying to find the bright side.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have done well. I am on my third flare in just over 5 years. We really don't seem to get the maintenance right or I am getting too stressed (maybe a combination of both). Went back on the steroids about 3 days ago having been off for just over a year. I am currently waiting on a date for my RTX infusions.
    Diagnosed July 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Carol, I thought I was going well, until a couple of months ago, I have been having monthly blood tests, everything has been great, until my PR3 which was 0 for some 12 months, jumped up to 10. It has since stayed at that level for the last 3 months, I am hoping it is starting to go down, as my rheumy has increased my aza. I have been feeling great, if not for the monthly blood tests, it might have been a lot worse. I hope you get yours under control quickly. I was born in Victoria, many moons ago, I currently call the far north coast near Byron bay home. All the best.....

Regards Warren.