User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Methotrexate Injection Side Effects?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Methotrexate Injection Side Effects?

Has anyone ever had a bad reaction to their MTX? If so, what happened??

I did my injection yesterday at 1000am. I was OK until about noon when it suddenly felt like I was being stabbed in my lower abdomen. Women, it was like menstrual cramps turned up to a billion!! I felt hot and then cold and then at one point, my body was cold but my head was hot and I was sweating in my head alone. Then came the diarrhea (bad). I felt weak, my chest felt tight. I started coughing the dry hacking barky-echo-y cough again ... I wake up this morning feeling intense pain again, more weakness, my lungs almost feel like they are burning when I breathe, my mouth feels perpetually dry .... and the diarrhea .... it's like a knife to my gut when it comes.
    And then, my abdomen is tender even when the pain subsides. I lean forward and it feels full ... and so so so so so tender.
    I don't know. It could be completely unrelated but then ... the spec sheet from my meds said to call the doctor immediately when I have certain symptoms. Which included the lethargy, the diarrhea, the weakness, etc.

Anyone else?? I'm gonna try and get in to see my family doc tomorrow. My rheumy said go see her first. I could have done that already.
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds like a bad reaction.
    I would definitely talk to your rheumy right away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Nikki,

When I switched to methotrexate injections, the main thing I experienced was nausea. I did have some intestinal upset and a dry mouth but yours sounds much more intense. I would definitely let your rheumatologist know. It sounds painful!
    Diagnosed October 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds awful for sure. I've only had occasional mild nausea, and of course I'm not sure that's even related to the injections. For what it's worth, my rheumatologist said that the MTX pills are more likely to cause g.i. issues, especially diarrhea, than the injections, but I'm sure everyone has different reactions to the various meds we all get to try. Hope you are feeling better by now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally talk to your doctor before you take it again. You had a reaction to it. Next time it will be worse! I'm allergic to a lot of meds. It is awful!!!