Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Topic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Off Topic.

I think Andrew should start cracking the whip a bit more on this one. A bit of banter and subject drift is great for the atmosphere on the Forum, but recently threads have been pretty well hijacked and the original point raised or question asked has then been lost.

If people just want to pass the time of day, the General Chit-Chat section is the place created for it.

Sorry to have to raise this subject, but I was trying to look something up the other day and noticed that the thread title often had little to do with most of the posts attached. It occurred to me that we are always encouraging newcomers to read through the threads for information, but it is not an easy task due to the addition of all the superfluous or misplaced stuff.
    Last edited by Jack; 11-04-2009 at 07:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Agreed I was just discussing this very thing today. I'm going to rename the 'general chit-chat' forum to 'off topic' which might make it a bit clearer.

There's always room for a bit of drift but yes, there are some threads particularly recently that have strayed too far of course. I'm guilty of it too so I'm not pointing the finger at anyone

It makes it hard for newcomers to look up info if there's too much static in there. Can I please get everyone's cooperation on this?

If there's too much off-topic in a thread I'll move it to the of topic forum. No malice or anything else intended in that and I fully appreciate the fact that this place is a hang-out as well as an information source, just that it'd be good to have the info that people need easier to find

Thanks in advance all of you and thanks Jack for raising the issue!
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I've also deleted the 'Geek Forum' and moved the two threads in there to the 'Off Topic Discussion' forum
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Andrew and Jack for the excellent reminder! I'll certainly be more mindful of my posts, and regularly go back and read the entire thread to make sure I'm staying on-topic more often than not.

Also if we remember to include the subject in a new thread name it makes it much easier to find info later. Like "Is it Warts or Wegener's?" versus "Uh-oh."

All the changes will really help newcomers who are recently diagnosed and need info fast.

Doug Guest

Andrew-

Visually, it would be easier to relate Forum > Thread/Thread Starter if they were closer together on the Home Page, and organized in the Forum > Thread/Thread Starter order in Quick Links (which is what I use as my starting point).

Even if the Forum column were moved over to the far lefthand in the Quick Links section, it would be an improvement.
    Last edited by Doug; 11-13-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well put Jack i must admit it is easy to ramble i like the idea of off topic this will make you laugh on the subject of food with D on steroid she has eating days On Sunday she did a gammon joint quite big sow had tea Sunday and i said to her today i will have a bit of gammon and branston her reply was it gone I've eaten it 'its been in the fridge three days didn't want it to go off made me laugh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Andrew-

Visually, it would be easier to relate Forum > Thread/Thread Starter if they were closer together on the Home Page, and organized in the Forum > Thread/Thread Starter order in Quick Links (which is use as my starting point).

Even if the Forum column were moved over to the far lefthand in the Quick Links section, it would be an improvement, perhaps help those of us inclined to free associate to tread closer to topic. (mean face so you know I'm seriously serious!)
    Doug it took me a good ten minutes to work out what you meant My eyes finally roverd over to the right-hand side of the page and....EUREKA!!!

Mate I'll check it out. Good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by BARON View Post
    On Sunday she did a gammon joint quite big sow had tea Sunday and i said to her today i will have a bit of gammon and branston her reply was it gone I've eaten it 'its been in the fridge three days didn't want it to go off made me laugh
    HAhahahaha! I can relate although I never would have let it go three whole days!
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never even knew what the QuickLinks thing did. Doug, thanks for pointing it out-- it's really useful!

I always just click on Demon Bunny for starters. (Think he'll get mad if I skip him sometimes? Don't wanna anger da bunny. I is ascared of him. )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have my complete cooperation Andrew!

I too have searched threads like Jack and got frustrated so I understand.
    Lisa

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Andrew-

Visually, it would be easier to relate Forum > Thread/Thread Starter if they were closer together on the Home Page, and organized in the Forum > Thread/Thread Starter order in Quick Links (which is use as my starting point).
    Hi Doug
    I took a look and it's doable but it'll turn my brain to mush at the moment Might leave it until the new upgrade comes out as I think (hope) it'll be easier to achieve then! Good idea though!
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast