Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Topic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onatreetop View Post
    Another kid down with flu this morning. That is 3 out of 4. I ......................................am going to work. Dadio can deal with it I hope.
    Did you ever see the Monty Python movie where they say, "Run away! Run awaaaay!"

Dadio will find a way. You've got to take care of yourself!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this off topic issue is one of the reasons i haven't posted much of late.i'm not in a position to advise people on their condition or their medication so i don't but every now and again i see something that i can comment on so i do.the problem is it usually leads to bit of meandering away from the original topic but if i was to start a new thread just to make my comment it would seem nonsensicle to someone who read it, as it would have no context.if you put six people around a table and they start a conversation you can be sure that after ten minutes the subject matter has changed completely.the main reason i liked this site was the humour and the banter as we have enough misery and slckness thanks to this disease.now i think twice before posting and usually don't.
    john.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wondered why you weren't posting, John. I was worried you weren't feeling well. I like the "dinner table" feel of this site, too. How can we make this work for everyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I mentioned in my original post, I think we all enjoy the off topic banter and I would hate to see it disappear. I think the point I was trying to raise was aimed at the threads that go off subject for a whole page or so, sometimes never to return rather than the odd post with a stray thought.

I don't think members need feel shy about starting new threads in the Off Topic section. Some things may seem random or pointless, but you are amongst friends and can be sure you won't get flamed for anything you care to say. It will probably also spark another long, rambling discussion.
    Last edited by Jack; 11-13-2009 at 06:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just like in regular conversations, some people feel comfortable starting a conversation (thread) and others feel more comfortable jumping in to one that's already going.

I obviously do both. In "real" life, I never shut up. If I'm quiet, my friends know I'm really sick.

Doug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Doug, are you upset? I don't understand. I think I missed something.
    I was. The confusion over "Off Topic" is what was upsetting because I was trying my best to stay on topic. Find another posting by me in this thread now other than the one related to how minimize the potential for error. Understand most people want to do what's right, and when the right tools are in place most people will do what is right. Error proofing.

Is this posting on topic? Here's the heading: Website Issues, Feedback and Announcements Problems with this website? Questions? Completely confusticated? Post here! Any planned maintenance downtime will be announced here too.

Danged if I know. Like John, I will be hesitant to post in future.
    Last edited by Doug; 11-13-2009 at 03:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I tend not to be too bothered by off topic conversations, though I understand why others might be. I do think they can be a problem for newcomers who might be searching for info quickly, or for anyone else searching for info.

I don't think it's the short, conversation-like, back-and-forth jokes and comments that are in question, as much as long posts that are way off the thread topic. Especially if there are multiple long posts in one thread. That's just my guess.

Doug Guest

The easiest way to be sure is stay on topic, cut the side bars. I've tried to find specific information by thread before and Jack's comments are dead on. How can we expect new people to find information we direct them to on this site if they have to wade through extraneous, if amusing, banter?
    Last edited by Doug; 11-13-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The last thing I wanted to do was upset and exclude anyone. Simply put, as others have said, I thought it would be easier for new people (and those that have been here for a while) to find what they are looking for if the amount of off-topic was kept to a minimum. I mean geez, I'm not a cop, I'm just trying to make things easier. I'm not going to shout at anyone for going off topic this isn't a police state I'm just trying to stop pages of off-topic banter in otherwise highly informative threads. You guys are the ones that make this site successful. It's the result of efforts from everyone here. The off-topic stuff is part of what makes this site great. Everyone values your opinions both on and off topic there's no reason to stop posting.

This is the off-topic section. Pretty much anything goes.

I love you all, keep on keeping on.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrest me now because I'm guilty, Doug you not posting, and pigs will fly we all love it here with all the traits of a large family. Just think with all of us around John's table.
    Jolanta

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast