Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Methotrexate and liver damage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A year ago I got my RTX treatment. I would swear by it!!! It saved my life!!
    The way they do it is every week at the same time for 4 weeks, you get a dose. It can take any where form 4-8 hours to infuse. I did not start to feel sick until my 3 treatment. At the point, I asked my doctor for meds to help with the puking.
    It is very expensive, but the results and the side effects are much nicer then stronger chemo.
    Hope this helps and hope you start feeling better soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to infer that this is your problem, but I can tell you for me elevated liver enzymes are a sign that a weg flare is on its way. I'm pretty sure this is a very uncommon symptom of wegs. Sonogram didn't find anything and the blood work always returned to normal shortly after treatment was started. I didn't start treatment just because of this--it was just one of the first signs & other symptoms developed quickly. Hope you find a solution soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sister was hospitalized with high liver enzymes due to tylenol.Im sure they looked into that. I hear alot of good about rituxan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all your input! I saw the doctor this morning, and several medications were talked about. What we ultimately decided on was one I hadn't heard of--hydroxychoroquine, or Plaquenil. It's a daily pill, so no infusions! I am going to see my eye doctor today and let him know I'm taking this medication, because one of the side effects is loss of vision. She said this medication is the safest route, and that my age was also a factor in making decisions about the medication.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been taking plaquenil for the past 3 years, without any issues.
    You do need to have your eyes checked every year.

It takes about 6 weeks to kick in, unfortunately.

Someone on here mentioned to me that sometimes it can make you feel ill but if you stick with it, this feeling will disappear within a few weeks.........if you can last that long.
    If you can't last that long, then thankfully, this is one of the few drugs that you do not need to wean off - you can just stop taking them.

Best of luck Hannah - I hope they work for you
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12