Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fathering children?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Fathering children?

Hi everyone! I am new to this page. I do not have WG, however, I am in a relationship with a wonderful man who does. We got on the topic of children and he said he was unsure if after all the treatment and steroids for WG he didn't know if that was something still possible for him. He was diagnosed many years ago and has been off all treatment for about 5 or 6 years now, though he worries about it flaring up it has not yet. I am not sure what particular treatment he has had and I don't ask for more than he tells me because he doesn't like to talk about it much. I am just wondering how many men out there have had children since being diagnosed and treated for WG? No matter what this is not a deal breaker for me, I am in love with this man and if he can't father children we will find another way to be parents when we are ready someday, but I am just trying to figure out what our odds are. Thank you so much for any help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on his treatment. If he used cytoxin it reduces his chances greatly, my doctor asked me if I planned on having children before giving me cytoxin, due to the side effects on the reproductive system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any other guys out there with feedback? Anyone have any experience having children after treatment? Anything you can tell me is very helpful!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was also on Cytoxan for 2 years. I was never told I cannot have children but I was warned not to try while I was on it. They know it has been shown to cause birth defects when a mom is taking Cytoxan. No studies on men have shown it to but its better safe then sorry. <its important to know that at this point in time I just got diagnosed and didn't know exactly what to ask. So I don't know if no studies on men have shown it was to say there were not studies done or none of the studies done showed issues.> But the doctor told me if I wanted children when I was off the ctx I could try. I never asked about my current treatment rituxan because the topic didn't come up and I didn't consider it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband was diagnosed with Wegener's last November. We had three children prior to his diagnosis. When he wasn't improving after Rituxan treatments, we traveled to MA and the team of MD's there wanted to put him on Cyclophosphamide. They told us it causes permanent infertility and asked us if we we wanted to have more children. We were in an absolutely desperate scenario. He had been on death's door for months and would do anything so we agreed to begin the Cyclophosphamide. They made it sound that having children after this treatment is out of the question (not only for infertility reasons, but also possible birth defects). His doctors where we live were very surprised that he was put on Cyclophosphamide as it has many very serious and life-threatening adverse effects. I am still glad that we did it because I feel that it saved my husband's life.

I wish you both the best and hope you will have healthy children (in whatever way you are meant to have them) and that your children have healthy parents to love and raise them.