Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eye tearing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Eye tearing

Has anyone had any experience with eye tearing caused by either GPA or as a side-effect from one of our drugs?

I looked at a recent thread on the subject, but it didn't really answer the question. And, of course, I searched the internet already, so I'm asking if anyone personally experienced a similar condition.

The tearing started in just one eye and is now in both. I haven't had any change in drugs; either type or dosage. It could be totally unrelated to GPA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've suffered more the other way and have dry eyes, so at a guess I'd say your teary eyes might not be GPA/WG related.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with eye tearing caused by either GPA or as a side-effect from one of our drugs?

I looked at a recent thread on the subject, but it didn't really answer the question. And, of course, I searched the internet already, so I'm asking if anyone personally experienced a similar condition.

The tearing started in just one eye and is now in both. I haven't had any change in drugs; either type or dosage. It could be totally unrelated to GPA.

I had and still kinda have this problem. It started with one eye and then eventually both. I'm sure it appeared I was always crying. My eye doctors told me the reason was the tears were not draining properly. I believe I was like that for about a year or so. Once on Rituxan, the tearning went completly away from one eye and is was reduced a great deal in the other. I am not sure if it will ever be normal again but it's only been 7 months and I'll stay optimistic. Hope you have some luck with yours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! I have the normal battery of doc appts in Jan. Its out of the realm of my endo, but maybe the rheumy would know. I'll have to ask. Its a bit annoying, but I'm still in the UK, so not much could be done anyway unless I went to Addenbrooks. But its not serious enough for that. More annoying than anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it could be WG related. I have read on here about people suffering from blocked tear ducts resulting in tearing and in some cases having to have surgery, You will find posts in the advance search option. Hope you will get some answers there

Rose

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with gilders on this. I started having eye pain a few months ago and went to the opthamologist thinking the scleritis was back. He said no, that my eyes were extremely dry (dry spots on my corneas). Also said the composition of my tears was off. He said he sees this with connective tissue disorders... So maybe your ducts are plugged. Not sure because I'm sure not a doc! I just know that tear production/eye issues (other than inflammation) can happen with this stuff.

Jen
    "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." C.S. Lewis

http://www.sensinganenemy.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not had any issues with this yet my eyes are a little dry from time to time not sure if its WG related. Having said that my rheumy is having me see a ophthalmologist. Was suppose to actually go yesterday but the building was without power so I rescheduled it. The fact the rheumy wants me to see a ophthalmologist and the eye drying is a fairly new event, so I haven't had a chance to mention it to him yet, would indicate possible eye issues from GPA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really what I wanted to hear, but I was suspecting it could be wegs related. Just peachy!

Interestingly, just prior to this starting, I had an eye test. They checked out just slightly better than 20/20, but not quite 20/15. For both near and far distance. That's not bad for 63.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been through this since way back when. My eye drainage was blocked on one side about 15 years ago causing tearing and infections. I had a procedure done then called an open DCR. I won't describe it because its scary and there is no reason for it to be scary now days. I recently had my other side get blocked and tear and get infected for a period of a couple of years.
    I got tired of the problem and went to the eye doc. This is when I found out there had been significant advances in diagnosing and treating the blocked tear duct.
    Way back when I was injected in the tear duct and given an xray to see the extent of the blockage. They don't do that anymore. Now, they just inject a little saline into the duct and see if they can force it into your nose. Its not as bad as it sounds . It doesn't hurt, it IS a little creepy just because I don't like needles around my eyes.
    BUT, in fact the procedure is really not that big of a deal. It beats the whole xray thing.

So, if they determine your blockage is permanent scarring and will not open then they have a new way of opening it up that is WAY , WAY, WAY, more fun than the open DCR. It does require being put under. I had it done at the same time I had sinus surgery.

They leave a tube in through the opening that holds it open. Because my situation was WG specific they left the tube in for several months. The concern is that with WG it could close back up right away.

It is no big deal, and such a tremendous relief to have a non-infected eye again.

So , in summary I would like to accept this award on behalf of... - oh wait , that is the end of my other speach.

The proper end of this one would be to find an eye doc that does the NON open DCR procedure and also has experience with WG scarred tear ducts. I know my doc treated my situation a bit differently because my scarring was caused by WG and not something else. And now, I would like to accept this award... (Dang, I must be expecting an award)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do recall hearing rumors of an award that had to be returned..... ;-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast