Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eye tearing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had problems with eye tearing for about a year, started about 2 months after diagnosis. I thought it was related to prednisone. Eye doc says eyes look great, rheumy says no clue what would cause that, Dr. Villa-Forte has no clue, even asked Pulmonologist and renal doc and both are clueless as to what would be the cause. I did notice that when I was down to 10 mg of pred the tearing was a lot better...guess that's why I've always thought it may be from the prednisine?? Never had issues prior to diagnosis, so I assume it is Weg's related.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had the teary eyes on and off. I have looked it up on the forum, too, and people said it was from pred, or whatever... I definitely think is GPA related because I never had it before Wegs. The tear ducts seem a plausible explanation. I don't know that mine are totally blocked, because it comes and goes. I figure there is at least some inflammation in there that could be slowing down the drainage. I haven't pinpointed any conditions under which it happens more, although tapering pred could be one, since I've noticed it lately while tapering. I thought it was just one of those things we have to put up with. But having an awareness of tear duct function, or lack of, seems like a good place to start. i suppose there could be allergies involved, too.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad to say the clogged tear ducts is probably the cause of the tearing. I had the same thing happen first in one eye and then the other. I had the surgery to fix them both and now things are good to go. No other issues have occurred with my eyes. It isn't considered a "flare" but it is common for WG sufferers to experience tear duct/sinus issues. Hang in there and keep us posted.
    V.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have the teary eyes too even though in remission. They drive me crazy. Was told it could be the pred. Told that I could get operation for the ducts but one advised if it really affected my standard of life. Think I will skip this procedure as I am sure I will have bigger fish to fry further on down the line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does drive me crazy. I know my eye sight is really good and it annoys me when I have to keep wiping my eyes in order to see.

For those of you who had the operation.... Was it an in and out process? Wear patches for a week or anything? Have to go off mtx?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had tearing from having dry eyes and it seemed related to meds. I had eyes checked out and even tried having drainage ducts plugged to keep them more moist but it was of no use. I found using a a good eye drop like Refresh helped the most to reduce tearing. It also seemed to get better with lower pred dosages.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 'new' eye drainage procedure (new to me) I had done along with sinus surgery. I went home that day. In spite of having both procedures done at the same time I would still say it is not a big thing. No patch on the eye (no nose packing for sinus like they used to do), no change in meds.

They gave me an adequate supply of pain meds that I really ended up not needing. I think if I had just the eye done it would have been super easy. I delayed getting my eye done because I only knew of the old procedure where they had to do surgery through an opening on my face. (called an open DCR) That one was not fun

But the new way is endoscopic and I wish I hadn't waited so long to get it done. My eye not only teared but was goopy with infection for over two years. After a certain point you can be sure it will not get better and I say the procedure to restore drainage is a good choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had tearing problems starting about 3-4 months after I began taking methotrexate (treatment started 10/2014; diagnosed 1/2014). I never had tearing problems before diagnosis. It seemed liked the tearing would go away and return. I put off seeing an ophthalmologist due to health insurance changes until last month. My ophthalmologist did a test with iodine or some other solution that reveals eye dryness and evaluates the quality of your tears. It turned out that I produce enough tears but the quality is low so they are drying too quickly. This was causing the overproduction of tears to deal with the dryness. It may be related to issues in the lacrimal gland. It may be due to Sjogren's Syndrome which often comes with autoimmune illnesses. It includes dry eyes and mouth. My ophthalmologist recommended OTC eye drops (Systane) but said not to use Visine because it has something in it that can cause additional eye irritation. My rheumatologist recommended an OTC eye cream/gel to use at night (some people sleep with their eyes slightly open which dries the eyes too).

I wake up with seriously dry eyes and blurred vision when I don't use it. I haven't tried it very long and I'm not very good at putting the eye drops in (I blink uncontrollably). It seems that treating the symptoms if it is Sjogren's Syndrome is the only thing to do besides treating the underlying Wegener's with methotrexate as you are doing currently.

I hope you find my experience helpful. I've been offline for a while trying to focus on work and my health. I've recently had terrible migraines that I am just starting to control with medication. I also likely had a couple of simple-partial seizures but I'm trying to work with a neurologist to figure out what happened (never had a seizure before). I might try to see an ophthalmologist in NYC that specializes with weggies to get a second opinion as well. My local ophthalmologist said I had the beginning signs of glaucoma (I'm only 27) but didn't suggest doing anything besides a follow-up in one year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mom had this in her right eye.
    Her eye would hurt too like there was something in it.

The opthamologist said it was due to not enuf tears drying out the eye like others said.
    He was going to put punctal plugs in but her tear ducts were too small.
    He gave her prednisolone eye drops and cyclosporine which helped the inflammation until a few months after the rituxan and it disappeared.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast