Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Suspicion of MS after Wegener's Granulomatosis

Hi all!

I'm writing on behalf of my wife who's been diagnosed with WG a bit over a year ago. She started with joint pain and swelling in her lower limbs, and a possibly related ear infection although not for sure.

She's been doing quite well on prednisone lowering the dose and Imuran. She got diagnosed very early so the doctor decided for a milder approach.

A few weeks ago a few things happened at once. She lowered her prednisone from 5mg to 2,5mg, she was under heavy psychological stress due to some family problems. She started feeling pain behind her left eye, quite intense. After a few days on-off she lost sensation on her palate for a few hours and the next day she lost vision on her eye.

After a prednisone shock she got alright again, but now the doctor is suspecting it could be something different to WG, that is Multiple Sclerosis.

I'm by no means an expert but from what I could gather her case is not very MS-like (she didn't have any of the other symptoms described for MS), and even I fould on the forum a very similar case involving the eye (but not the sensitivity loss). My bet is that, if anything other than WG, could be a different myelin degenerating disease (I don't have links handy right now, but I read about a few that would fit a bit better). Also, though not even conclusive for WG, she tested C-Anca positive.

What are the community's thoughts about this?
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by hrnn; 10-21-2014 at 10:54 PM.