I am on a very weird taper right now ... but it seems to be working. Remember..I do NOT have Wegeners. I was misdiagnosed but keep coming back to check in now and again. My issue is asthma that is resistant to typical asthma meds. I have been on pred tapers 11 times in the past 14 months. Each taper became gradually less effective. This one has been different. It worked better right from the get-go for some reason. Anyway...to avoid what my asthma doc calls the "rebound effect", here is how I am tapering this time. I went from 40 mg for three days, to 30 mg for three days and so on. Once I reached 10 mg, I got a script for 1mg tablets. this allowed me to do 10 mg one day, 9 the next, back up to 10 the next day, and 8mg the day after that, then 10, then 7 and so on. not sure if it will work...but this is the best I have felt for the past 2years. I am SO hoping to be off the prednisone merry-go-round. Maybe it would work for you??? i will try to remember to come back and let you know if it works in keeping me off prednisone...even if just for three months!