Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kidney involvement

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Karen,
    Wishing all the best for improvement of kidney function with your tx's.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maria Garcia,
    Wishing all the best for your daughter, and hoping you get better news soon.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maria garcia View Post
    Thank you. Only a uranalysis was done as a normal routine check and all of the above you wrote are positive. Monday we have the appointment with her rhemy. I just have the bad habit of getting the labs myself , now im freaking out the whole weekend. Im sure there will be more test. Im already planning to take my daughter to a nephrologist after those labs today
    Hey lovely,

Just wondering how the Rheumy appointment went.
    It's now a week later - hopefully things have improved
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a bit late with a comment -- hope your appointment went well and you've been able to find answers to your questions! My major involvements are kidneys and lungs. Before dx in 2011, I had fatigue, lack of appetite and focus, and dark urine. My general doctor started with the basic urine and blood tests. Urinalysis found a lot of blood in my urine and blood work indicated high creatinine (3.9). I went to our local hospital and was diagnosed with kidney failure. They administered fluids and worked the level down to 3.1 and discharged me 4 days later. Within 5 days, I went to a large hospital in Richmond, VA with blood in my lungs and nose. My creatinine was up to 4.7! After a kidney biopsy, I was officially diagnosed with WG. My kidney function has stabilized (around 1.6) although my GFR is around 33-35 when I'm tested every 3 months. My IGg and IGm levels (antibodies) are also extremely low. I've not used the urine test strips, but I would consider them for sure. I see my nephrologist once a year unless there's a problem. My rheumy is the "go to" doc and I see him every 3 months. Since all my physicians are at VCU Medical Center in Richmond, they consult regularly!
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    I'm a bit late with a comment -- hope your appointment went well and you've been able to find answers to your questions! My major involvements are kidneys and lungs. Before dx in 2011, I had fatigue, lack of appetite and focus, and dark urine. My general doctor started with the basic urine and blood tests. Urinalysis found a lot of blood in my urine and blood work indicated high creatinine (3.9). I went to our local hospital and was diagnosed with kidney failure. They administered fluids and worked the level down to 3.1 and discharged me 4 days later. Within 5 days, I went to a large hospital in Richmond, VA with blood in my lungs and nose. My creatinine was up to 4.7! After a kidney biopsy, I was officially diagnosed with WG. My kidney function has stabilized (around 1.6) although my GFR is around 33-35 when I'm tested every 3 months. My IGg and IGm levels (antibodies) are also extremely low. I've not used the urine test strips, but I would consider them for sure. I see my nephrologist once a year unless there's a problem. My rheumy is the "go to" doc and I see him every 3 months. Since all my physicians are at VCU Medical Center in Richmond, they consult regularly!
    Hi Kathyb,
    That is an impressive improvement in kidney function.
    My mom's creatinine was 3.3 and has only improved to 1.8 at its best and is hovering on 2-2.2.
    What treatments did they give you and how long did it take for your kidney function to improve to that level?

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrtmeo View Post
    Hi Kathyb,
    That is an impressive improvement in kidney function.
    My mom's creatinine was 3.3 and has only improved to 1.8 at its best and is hovering on 2-2.2.
    What treatments did they give you and how long did it take for your kidney function to improve to that level?
    I was diagnosed quickly and the meds kicked in and worked! Rituxan treatments were lifesavers along with prednisone. I'm still on 5 mg prednisone as my maintenance drug. No Rituxan since April 2012 due to tremendously low IG levels indicating a highly-compromised immune system. If I flare, we'll need to do it again. My left kidney is polysistic and almost another 1/2 size larger than my right kidney. It has limited function. Due to the disease, my right kidney operates at about 50% -- but together they do their job! I'd say it's been steady progress on kidney function since diagnosis -- one year of fluctuation and danger but since then it's been pretty steady. I'm sure I haven't gone over 2.0 in the past two years or so. Feeling very blessed most days!!
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kathy it's great to see you and I'm glad things are going good for you.
    I hope retirement is treating you well
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    How long did it take for the rtx treatment to bring your creatinine to 1.6?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had kidney involvement in 1979. Apparently my kidneys were very sick and lots of blood in the urine. They are doing just fine today. I have had healthy kidneys since treatment was started. I need to check my kidneys more often. Thanks for all the info on the dip sticks from everyone

P.O.W.E.R. Positive ongoing waves encourage remission

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12