Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Kidney involvement

I would like to know those who have had kidney involvement how did you realize it in the beginning? And what do you check for now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mom has kidney involvement which they found when her hemoglobin was 5.6.
    To test for active vasculitis on the kidneys, you use a Hemostix or a urine dip stick that can tell you if there is blood in the urine.
    The other test is a biopsy to see what form of attack is happening to the kidneys.
    If you don't know how to tell if you have lower kidney function, it will show up on a CMP (Comprehensive Metabolic Panel).
    The creatinine will be high and the eGFR correlates always with the creatinine level.
    A urinalysis can tell you if you have blood and/or protein in the urine and if there are any rbc casts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. Only a uranalysis was done as a normal routine check and all of the above you wrote are positive. Monday we have the appointment with her rhemy. I just have the bad habit of getting the labs myself , now im freaking out the whole weekend. Im sure there will be more test. Im already planning to take my daughter to a nephrologist after those labs today

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maria garcia View Post
    Thank you. Only a uranalysis was done as a normal routine check and all of the above you wrote are positive. Monday we have the appointment with her rhemy. I just have the bad habit of getting the labs myself , now im freaking out the whole weekend. Im sure there will be more test. Im already planning to take my daughter to a nephrologist after those labs today
    Keep us posted on how things go and don't wait on anything.
    The quicker you treat the disease, the quicker the kidney function can come back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had blood in my urine from routine urinalysis and Wegs was confirmed later by kidney biopsy. Declining kidney function was monitored by regular on going lab work. I use dip sticks to check urine between regular monthly labs as Specks recommended. My nephrologist has also altered my blood pressure meds and ran extra tests to assess kidney function which has been stable for past couple years.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had no symptoms whatsoever. When admitted to hospital with all my other symptoms blood and protein was found in my urine. A blood test for kidney function found my kidneys were only functioning at around 40%. A kidney biopsy confirmed Wg and so I got my diagnosis and the cause of all my other symptoms, sinus, hearing , painful swollen joints. daily spikes in temperature etc

With treatment my kidney function improved to at its best 60GFR but averages around 58. There has been no protein in my urine since my initial treatment. I do monitor it myself with strips that I have at home. I have blood tests every 2 months but I do know that kidney function can deteriorate very quickly with few symptoms so doing the twice weekly test at home reassures me all is well.

Rose

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maria garcia View Post
    Hey lovely,

Just wondering how the Rheumy appointment went.
    It's now a week later - hopefully things have improved
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a bit late with a comment -- hope your appointment went well and you've been able to find answers to your questions! My major involvements are kidneys and lungs. Before dx in 2011, I had fatigue, lack of appetite and focus, and dark urine. My general doctor started with the basic urine and blood tests. Urinalysis found a lot of blood in my urine and blood work indicated high creatinine (3.9). I went to our local hospital and was diagnosed with kidney failure. They administered fluids and worked the level down to 3.1 and discharged me 4 days later. Within 5 days, I went to a large hospital in Richmond, VA with blood in my lungs and nose. My creatinine was up to 4.7! After a kidney biopsy, I was officially diagnosed with WG. My kidney function has stabilized (around 1.6) although my GFR is around 33-35 when I'm tested every 3 months. My IGg and IGm levels (antibodies) are also extremely low. I've not used the urine test strips, but I would consider them for sure. I see my nephrologist once a year unless there's a problem. My rheumy is the "go to" doc and I see him every 3 months. Since all my physicians are at VCU Medical Center in Richmond, they consult regularly!
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    I'm a bit late with a comment -- hope your appointment went well and you've been able to find answers to your questions! My major involvements are kidneys and lungs. Before dx in 2011, I had fatigue, lack of appetite and focus, and dark urine. My general doctor started with the basic urine and blood tests. Urinalysis found a lot of blood in my urine and blood work indicated high creatinine (3.9). I went to our local hospital and was diagnosed with kidney failure. They administered fluids and worked the level down to 3.1 and discharged me 4 days later. Within 5 days, I went to a large hospital in Richmond, VA with blood in my lungs and nose. My creatinine was up to 4.7! After a kidney biopsy, I was officially diagnosed with WG. My kidney function has stabilized (around 1.6) although my GFR is around 33-35 when I'm tested every 3 months. My IGg and IGm levels (antibodies) are also extremely low. I've not used the urine test strips, but I would consider them for sure. I see my nephrologist once a year unless there's a problem. My rheumy is the "go to" doc and I see him every 3 months. Since all my physicians are at VCU Medical Center in Richmond, they consult regularly!
    Hi Kathyb,
    That is an impressive improvement in kidney function.
    My mom's creatinine was 3.3 and has only improved to 1.8 at its best and is hovering on 2-2.2.
    What treatments did they give you and how long did it take for your kidney function to improve to that level?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    How long did it take for the rtx treatment to bring your creatinine to 1.6?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast